« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Sun May 31, 2020 11:38 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
While looking for a new external hard drive last night I noticed a "Back-up Hub" external drive.  I assume this is something used only for back-ups somehow and not for regular storage???  Does anyone know what the difference is between this and a regular external HD?  Is this a gimmick or something that is truly useful?

This is what I was looking at - External "Back-up" HD

Thanks in advance.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Kerry on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:18 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
It appears to me that the HD model you linked simply has a couple of USB ports built into it so that it--the drive--can be used as a hub, of sorts, for other peripherals. Otherwise it's essentially indistinguishable from any other 10 GB external hard drive.

by Bill Chambers on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Kerry wrote:It appears to me that the HD model you linked simply has a couple of USB ports built into it so that it--the drive--can be used as a hub, of sorts, for other peripherals.  Otherwise it's essentially indistinguishable from any other 10 GB external hard drive.
Thanks Kerry.  The USB ports don't attract me, but I was just wondering why they designated this as a "Back-up" drive.  I've never seen that designation on an external drive before.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

3 posts |