Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 20 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Thu May 28, 2020 8:24 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I've downloaded the update 3 times now. I've restarted the windows computer 2 times and when I open a image in CS6 and go to filters and select topaz it still asks me to update yet again. I went topaz's web site and its no help at all. They don't even have a phone number. I'm a computer idiot. I turn it open and it works - great. If it doesn't I'm lost. I have a Win7 Pro 64 bit machine.
 How do I make the Denoise AI update work?

by WJaekel on Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
From their notification of v 2.2: "Please note the previous version of DeNoise AI will still be installed on your computer, so you will see two versions of DeNoise AI on your machine after installing the new version. The choice is yours to remove the old version or leave it on your machine."

However, they have changed their installation routine which can result in issues. Some time ago, E.J. had posted a procedure to fix that
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=287598

I don't know if you have already followed that instruction. Even if you don't need/want to reinstall all Topaz programs I would at least uninstall the old version of Denoise, restart the computer and then install the new version. See also their installation guide:
https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/art ... tion-Guide

If you need further help there's also a link for creating a support request on the bottom of that installation guide : https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hope that helps. I just got their notification today and haven't installed Denoise v 2.2 yet, though. But I will definetely remove the old version at first to avoid any conflicts.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 29, 2020 6:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Uninstall all versions of DeNoise, then do a registry clean and reboot - better yet, follow the steps in the links provided by Wolfgang above. Then download the latest version (they updated twice yesterday indicating that there were probably some problems) and install it. Everything should be good. As indicated above, Topaz changed their instaler under the hood midstream which causes problems just like what you are seeing when the old version is still on your computer.

by Mark Boranyak on Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Uninstall all versions of DeNoise, then do a registry clean and reboot - better yet, follow the steps in the links provided by Wolfgang above.  Then download the latest version (they updated twice yesterday indicating that there were probably some problems) and install it.  Everything should be good.  As indicated above, Topaz changed their instaler under the hood midstream which causes problems just like what you are seeing when the old version is still on your computer.
E.J. Would you recommend the same procedure (other than registry clean) for those of us who use Macs?

Mark

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 29, 2020 1:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mark Boranyak wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Uninstall all versions of DeNoise, then do a registry clean and reboot - better yet, follow the steps in the links provided by Wolfgang above.  Then download the latest version (they updated twice yesterday indicating that there were probably some problems) and install it.  Everything should be good.  As indicated above, Topaz changed their instaler under the hood midstream which causes problems just like what you are seeing when the old version is still on your computer.
E.J. Would you recommend the same procedure (other than registry clean) for those of us who use Macs?

Mark
Yes, but make sure you go through all of the library folders and delete the stuff left behind since Macs don't really uninstall support files when you delete an app.  

by DChan on Fri May 29, 2020 2:54 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Just updated it. It went smoothly.

by Larry Shuman on Fri May 29, 2020 4:33 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I just spent the afternoon running cleaning the registry and reboot. Now I downloaded the denoise update. I go to the download folder and click on open and it wants me to pick either photoshop, word, etc. What's going on. I'm ready to forget the update and stay with the original. Why do they make this so difficult?

by Mark Boranyak on Fri May 29, 2020 5:04 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Mark Boranyak wrote:

Mark
Yes, but make sure you go through all of the library folders and delete the stuff left behind since Macs don't really uninstall support files when you delete an app.  

Thanks, E.J. 

by DChan on Fri May 29, 2020 5:13 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:I just spent the afternoon running cleaning the registry and reboot. Now I downloaded the denoise update. I go to the download folder and click on open and it wants me to pick either photoshop, word, etc. What's going on. I'm ready to forget the update and stay with the original. Why do they make this so difficult?

Perhaps you should have just downloaded the update and clicked install?? That's what I did.  I opened DeNoise AI and it said a new update available and so I downloaded and started the update,and, like I said, it went smoothly. Launched the new version right away as a standalone, started in Photoshop CS6 all with no issues. A clean reinstall like E.J. suggested is something that I use when a simple download-and-install cause issues. It's a last resort.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 29, 2020 5:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:
Larry Shuman wrote:I just spent the afternoon running cleaning the registry and reboot. Now I downloaded the denoise update. I go to the download folder and click on open and it wants me to pick either photoshop, word, etc. What's going on. I'm ready to forget the update and stay with the original. Why do they make this so difficult?

Perhaps you should have just downloaded the update and clicked install?? That's what I did.  I opened DeNoise AI and it said a new update available and so I downloaded and started the update,and, like I said, it went smoothly. Launched the new version right away as a standalone, started in Photoshop CS6 all with no issues. A clean reinstall like E.J. suggested is something that I use when a simple download-and-install cause issues. It's a last resort.
He said in his original post that he already tried the traditional method three times ;)  Since that didn't work it's likely he missed some updates along the way and was still running the original version or he would have run into the problem a while back.

by Larry Shuman on Fri May 29, 2020 7:46 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I first opened a image and clicked on filters and Topaz. Immediately Topaz window opens and asks me if I want to update yes or no. I clicked yes and the download begins. When it is completed I go to my downloads folder and the "open" tab for Version 3 download. Another window opens and wants me to select a process ( photoshop, word, internet explorer, iTunes, notepad, wordpad etc. ) to open the download. At this point I'm lost. Then I deleted the original version of topaz, Clean the registry, reboot and try the download again. Same as before- click open in the download folder and it wants to use either photoshop, word, paint, notepad, wordpad, internet explorer. How does this work? Now I can't even the first version Topaz Denoise that I paid for.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 29, 2020 8:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
In your download folder, it should place a file called TopazDeNoiseAI-Online-Installer.exe, that is an executable file and it should just launch the installer when you double click on it.

by Larry Shuman on Sat May 30, 2020 3:54 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Ej:
When I double click on it , then the window opens up. It is the window that I'm talking about above. It is "choose the program I want to use to open the program"

by DChan on Sat May 30, 2020 5:59 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:Ej:
When I double click on it , then the window opens  up. It is the window that I'm talking about above. It is "choose the program I want to use to open the program"

I just downloaded from the Topaz website "TopazDeNoiseAI-Online-Installer.exe". I clicked on it to begin the installation and it took seconds to complete (perhaps because I already had the program on my computer). Then it asked if if I wanted to launch the program and I answered yes. It was open and it is the current version, i.e., 2.2.1 Anyhow, at no time did it ask me to "choose the program I want to use to open the program".

Out of curiosity, I ran the older version of the installer and during the installation, it did ask me to choose the components I wanted to install. It's the Host Editor Support components and one of it is "Photoshop Support" and the other one is "External Editor Support". By default they both have been selected and so I simply click "Next" to continue.

I'm curious to see a screen shot where it says "choose the program I want to use to open the program".

I use Windows 10 Pro if it means anything.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 31, 2020 6:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Larry Shuman wrote:Ej:
When I double click on it , then the window opens  up. It is the window that I'm talking about above. It is "choose the program I want to use to open the program"
That should not happen when a .exe file is clicked on.   It means that somehow Windows has been told that they are data files rather than executable programs.  This is almost always a result of malware or a virus that has hijacked parts of the operating system.  The first thing you need to do is to do a complete virus and malware scan.  Then you need to fix the registry entry that has been corrupted.  While the link below says Windows 7 and Vista, it is identical in Windows 10:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2688326/can-t-open-exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista

by WJaekel on Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I today installed the current versions of  Denoise AI and Gigapixel AI. As pointed out above, I deinstalled the old versions, ran ccleaner for a registry clean and installed the new versions - no issues here.

Nevertheless, the Topaz installation procedure is really annoying and unacceptable : When I tried the same procedure for Mask AI a login was required  telling me that I don't own the product. I de-/reinstalled the program twice but the issue is the same. So I'm now in trial mode of Mask AI though I bought the product. Switching users or updating ownership from the menu doesn't help either. I sent them a support request also telling them that day urgently need to fix their installation process.

Wolfgang

by WJaekel on Sun May 31, 2020 8:24 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
To give them credit, they quickly fixed the trial issue of my Mask AI program shortly after I had sent a support request. All my Topaz programs are updated and work as they should now. And as said above I had no problems with Denoise AI, though. However, I stand with my opinion that Topaz' installer can be a mass. But it looks that their support is better than their installation routine, at least ;-)  

That said, I suppose that E.J. hit the point as for your corrupted exe file and hijacked OS causing the problems

Wolfgang

by Larry Shuman on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor

larry shuman
I just placed this on Topaz's site and have heard noting yet. I had the computer cleaned of all malware problems and registry cleaned and this morning I deleted all deoise ai downloads resting in the download folder.                                                                                 
Today at 08:38
I just deleted all previous Todaz Denoise AI downloads from my download folder. Then I rebooted the computer, and downloaded a new Topaz denoise AI. When I viewed the download and click run a dialog box appears (Choose the program I want to use to open the file) and wants me to pick a program. What the devil is going on? I'm sure the programs word, paint, notepad, iTunes, wordpad and internet explore do not open Topaz Denoise. I believe I want my version 1 back or a refund my money.

by DChan on Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:07 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:

larry shuman
I just placed this on Topaz's site and have heard noting yet. I had the computer cleaned of all malware problems and registry cleaned and this morning I deleted all deoise ai downloads resting in the download folder.                                                                                 
I just deleted all previous Todaz Denoise AI downloads from my download folder. Then I rebooted the computer, and downloaded a new Topaz denoise AI. When I viewed the download and click run a dialog box appears (Choose the program I want to use to open the file) and wants me to pick a program. What the devil is going on? I'm sure the programs word, paint, notepad, iTunes, wordpad and internet explore do not open Topaz Denoise. I believe I want my version 1 back or a refund my money.

Could you post a screen shot?

It looks like you stopped once you saw "Choose the program to open the file". 

by Larry Shuman on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Larry Shuman wrote:
  I am not a payer here on  this site so I don't think I can post a picture. The dialog box  begins with "Open with" just below it reads" Choose the program I want to open the file" The choice is one of the following photoshop, internet explorer, notepad. wordpad,Itunes, etc.
larry shuman

Could you post a screen shot?

It looks like you stopped once you saw "Choose the program to open the file". 

20 posts |