« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Carolyn E. Wright on Sun May 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
My NEC MultiSync PA271W Monitor started going black after five seconds or so last night and would beep to indicate that it lost connection with the desktop. I would turn it off and back on, it would beep to indicate it was connected again, I would get a signal for a bit, but then it would go black again. Today, the signal time is even less.  It's not the power cord as the blue power light still shines when the screen is black. I switched cables to connect the monitor to my desktop, but the problem is still there.  I've upgraded the driver for the display/monitors. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!
Carolyn
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Retired Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by DChan on Sun May 24, 2020 6:36 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Could be...not enough power., i.e., need new power supply.. Also check the connector on the motherboard. Try another graphic card. If your monitor works fine with other computer, then the monitor is fine. If it's either the power supply or the motherboard, major operation needed especially the latter.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 24, 2020 8:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
As DChan said, first make sure the signal cable is properly seated on both ends. Next try a different port on the monitor and/or the graphics card - most monitors and cards have more than one output. Next try a different signal cable. If that doesn't help, try it with another computer if possible - that will tell you if it's the monitor or the graphics card. Also, try opening up your system and blowing out the inside. this will do two things, first if something fell on a connection casuing some sort of problem it will hopefully dislodge that, second it will remove dirt from the system which can lead to heat buildup. if after all of this, things still don't work, your monitor or graphics card is probably toast.

by DChan on Sun May 24, 2020 10:09 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Not to scare you, but that time it happened to me I ended up replacing my motherboard. It was the power or the unsteady supply of it to the graphic card that caused the problem.The graphic card and the monitor were fine.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 25, 2020 6:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:Not to scare you, but that time it happened to me I ended up replacing my motherboard. It was the power or the unsteady supply of it to the graphic card that caused the problem.The graphic card and the monitor were fine.
Whoa!  :o

by Carolyn E. Wright on Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 pm
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
I used a different signal cable and then with a different computer. Same problem, so a new monitor is in my future. :-( Thanks for the help!
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Retired Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yup, looks like you isolated it down to the monitor.

7 posts |