All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Tue May 05, 2020 9:36 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Should be released shortly:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9758471894/capture-one-teases-upcoming-capture-one-20-update-including-new-heal-and-clone-brushes

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by signgrap on Wed May 06, 2020 4:10 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Looks like C1 finally has powerful new Healing and Clone tools with no limits on the number of times they're used. And it's a free upgrade for existing C1 Pro 2020 users.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 06, 2020 8:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
One cool thing is that you can copy the heal or clone layer to other photographs and it will recalculate in a smart way the new source points for the next photo. So lets say you were on a shoot and too 500 photos and they all have the same annoying sensor dust. you can create a layer on one image fixing the spots and then copy it to all layers and not only will it fix each photo, the source point for the healing or cloning will be recalculated based on the other photos image data.

by Jim Zipp on Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
E.J. Peiker wrote:One cool thing is that you can copy the heal or clone layer to other photographs and it will recalculate in a smart way the new source points for the next photo.  So lets say you were on a shoot and too 500 photos and they all have the same annoying sensor dust.  you can create a layer on one image fixing the spots and then copy it to all layers and not only will it fix each photo, the source point for the healing or cloning will be recalculated based on the other photos image data.
In the older days with 1D cameras I had some dusty trips with hundreds of fine dust spots on them.  This feature would have been a blessing.  Very cool.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 12, 2020 11:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jim Zipp wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:One cool thing is that you can copy the heal or clone layer to other photographs and it will recalculate in a smart way the new source points for the next photo.  So lets say you were on a shoot and too 500 photos and they all have the same annoying sensor dust.  you can create a layer on one image fixing the spots and then copy it to all layers and not only will it fix each photo, the source point for the healing or cloning will be recalculated based on the other photos image data.
In the older days with 1D cameras I had some dusty trips with hundreds of fine dust spots on them.  This feature would have been a blessing.  Very cool.
No kidding Jim, those cameras didn't have the dust shakers plus having a CCD chip that is heavily charged, they were just dust magnets.  looking at my files with those older cameras, the corners were just filthy.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 18, 2020 10:49 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another article:

https://fstoppers.com/capture-one/big-c ... new-486396

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by 1943mike on Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am
1943mike
Forum Contributor
Can you guys tell me if (and specifically .. why) I might benefit from dumping my subscription plan for Photoshop/Lightroom to be replaced by Capture 1?

I'm very reluctant to end my relationship with Adobe (as frustrating as they can sometimes be) in favor of a raw converter/editor application about which I know nothing. Are there facets of the Capture 1 software that render images from raw files in ways that PS does not and that are much more pleasing to you? Is C1 a faster/easier application to use? What the heck do you find that C1 does that PS can't or doesn't?

I'm curious. I do believe I tried a free download of their software a few years ago and simply gave up thinking it was much more difficult to get around the UI. Perhaps that was because I didn't have the motivation to learn its ins and outs at the time .. Now I'd like to hear others' reasons why they prefer it to PS.

Thanks,
Mike

by DChan on Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
1943mike wrote:Can you guys tell me if (and specifically .. why) I might benefit from dumping my subscription plan for Photoshop/Lightroom to be replaced by Capture 1? 
Only you can answer that question I think.
Are there facets of the Capture 1 software that render images from raw files in ways that PS does not and that are much more pleasing to you? Is C1 a faster/easier application to use? What the heck do you find that C1 does that PS can't or doesn't?
Given that there are still many, many, many, many raw files/photographs processed with Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Lightroom, and they still look very good, win competitions and get sold, and that you can't really tell what software they were processed, I'd say other software don't really give anyone any advantages over the one which they're using. But then, you may prefer one over the other because of its features, how easy it runs on your computer, or how good it fits into your workflow.
Now I'd like to hear others' reasons why they prefer it to PS.
Because I have not subscribed to Photoshop. I still use the standalone Photoshop CS6 though.

Capture One Pro is a raw file converter and so you may still want to keep a copy of the standalone Photoshop with you. If not, Affinity Photo - which also convert raw files - is an option. Whichever new program you choose, you just have to spend time learning the ins and outs of it. At the end of the day, I believe the best way to find out if Capture One Pro offers you and you specifically any benefits is to use it yourself.

Oh, forgot to say, Capture One Pro charges quite a lot for its annual upgrade. You can also subscribe if you want to.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The new version, which is a free upgrade to Capture One 20 owners is out.

by DavePat on Mon May 25, 2020 7:21 pm
DavePat
Forum Contributor
Member #:02170
I have been looking at and recently purchased Capture One for a few reasons. Adobe does not seem to be upgrading Lightroom Classic and seems to be pushing the cloud computing and file storage idea of which I am not a fan. It seems inevitable that Lightroom Classic will disappear. Also I shoot Fuji X files for which Lightroom does not appear to do as good a job as Capture One with raw files.  Lightroom has closed the gap but I can still see a difference. Lastly, Capture One will allow you to purchase the software or alternatively pay monthly. I prefer the purchase.

In very crude terms Capture One is like Lightroom in terms of digital asset management and has similar tools for editing files but has certain strengths that are a little more like Photoshop.  It seems to have easier yet more sophisticated and perhaps better color adjustment capability.  It has layers and masks. You can make more than one type of adjustment on each layer (for instance exposure, color, brightness, clarity, levels, curves etc etc can all be done on one layer applying to the selected area of the image only).  You can brush masks on, use gradient and radial masks, create luma masks and even masks based on color.  It does not deal at all with importing multiple files into layers, aligning and/or blending the layers (for instance when you have different exposures of the same scene and want to blend the sky from one and the foreground from another). However, like Lightroom, it does allow you to open files that you are working on in Capture One into Photoshop and edit further with PS tools (like blending layers - any tools really) and then bring the adjusted file back into Capture One.  It does not merge photos into a panorama so you would have to take the photos into PS or Lightroom?? to perform that task.

There are not many addons.

Lastly, they provide lots of training on their site plus youtube or facebook videos using the program.  Multiple time each week they produce a video (you can watch it live or at another time) where they edit files and show you how the various tools can be used or highlight new tools.  Go to or subscribe to the Capture One Pro channel in Youtube for these.  These videos are done by Capture One, not some amateur enthusiast, so are of high quality.  You can watch them live and even send questions during the presentation (and maybe even get an immediate answer).  I have found these videos incredibly helpful in making the transition and understanding what  the program is capable of and how to do what I need to do. 

They are actively improving the program and adding new features.  I need to do blending and panoramas so need PS or an add-in to do that for now but hopefully that will be in the future releases.

They do run many promotions offering discounted pricing and highlight them in the videos and elsewhere.

10 posts |