Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:36 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card.  I use a Windows machine, using Windows 10 Pro, computer has an Intel i7-6700 processor @ 3.4 GH, has a Geforce GTX 960 2 GB graphics card, and 48 GB RAM, and 4 TB HDD & back-up, if any of that info is helpful.

I want to move up to either a 6 or 8 GB graphics card.

My questions:

Are all graphics cards compatible with all computers and all processors or must I purchase only certain "type" or brand for my computer?

Are graphics cards pretty "plug and play", something I can easily change out, load the driver, cut on and it's ready to go, or is that something a computer place needs to do?  (i'm an idiot when it comes to computers, but I'm very mechanically oriented so taking things apart/putting them back together is a breeze for me.  I've changed hard drives, memory cards, etc. before with no problems.)

Assuming all cards are compatible, is there a certain brand you prefer or would recommend over others (or any certain brands you would advise to stay away from)?

Many thanks!
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:10 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This is a much more complicated question than it may seem because basically the sky is the limit.  So the first thing one needs to make a recommendation is budget.  Also what type of ports does your monitor have.  The preferred would be to use a display port cable as it supports 10 bit color which some of the better cards support.  You also need to have enough room inside the chassis for whatever card you decide on and the appropriate power ports.  Also is the power supply in your computer powerful enough to drive the card.

I looked up your current card.  By knowing all of the info above for the current card, we know what works in your system and if we pick something that is similar in power consumption, size and it's required power cabling then it can be as simple as a straight swap.  From that I see it's a standard form factor card with a single 6 pin external power connection and it consumes 120W.  From that I would allow myself leeway up to about 180W because I am sure your system has at least that much overhead in power supply.  Also for ease of transition, i would stay with a card that has the nVidia chipset and drivers because again - plug and play.  the only other alternative is an AMD chipset (ATI graphic cards).  There are many manufacturers of video cards that use the nVidia chipset so that gives us many options.  From all of that, I am having a hard time finding something that uses a 6-pin power connector.  All of the upgrades that meet your needs use an 8 pin power connector.  So you will have to look inside your system to see if there are any 8 pin power connectors available or at least 8 pin ports coming off of the power supply so that you can use an 8 pin power cable.  If the answer to that is yes, then knowing if you have a slot next to the slot your current card is in is available which opens up the options...

So, there's a lot that needs to be answered before we can proceed.

by Bill Chambers on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:10 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Wow, so glad I asked.  Thanks so much, E.J.  Please allow me to do some research on all the questions you brought up and then to open up the case and check those things out. :  All of that may take me a couple of days to learn what an 8 pin connector looks like versus a 6 pin, etc. and check out my power supply for ports and for how powerful it is and everything.  

Wow, much more to it than I figured but if my computer has all the appropriate ports, slots, connectors, etc. it sounds like it will be an easy swap out.

Thanks again E.J., you're a lifesaver!

:) :) :)
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Wed May 20, 2020 12:45 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:This is a much more complicated question than it may seem because basically the sky is the limit.  So the first thing one needs to make a recommendation is budget.  Also what type of ports does your monitor have.  The preferred would be to use a display port cable as it supports 10 bit color which some of the better cards support.  You also need to have enough room inside the chassis for whatever card you decide on and the appropriate power ports.  Also is the power supply in your computer powerful enough to drive the card.

I looked up your current card.  By knowing all of the info above for the current card, we know what works in your system and if we pick something that is similar in power consumption, size and it's required power cabling then it can be as simple as a straight swap.  From that I see it's a standard form factor card with a single 6 pin external power connection and it consumes 120W.  From that I would allow myself leeway up to about 180W because I am sure your system has at least that much overhead in power supply.  Also for ease of transition, i would stay with a card that has the nVidia chipset and drivers because again - plug and play.  the only other alternative is an AMD chipset (ATI graphic cards).  There are many manufacturers of video cards that use the nVidia chipset so that gives us many options.  From all of that, I am having a hard time finding something that uses a 6-pin power connector.  All of the upgrades that meet your needs use an 8 pin power connector.  So you will have to look inside your system to see if there are any 8 pin power connectors available or at least 8 pin ports coming off of the power supply so that you can use an 8 pin power cable.  If the answer to that is yes, then knowing if you have a slot next to the slot your current card is in is available which opens up the options...

So, there's a lot that needs to be answered before we can proceed.
OK, sorry for the delay, but I finally cracked the computer open and have gathered the data.

The bad news first.  The current graphics card is indeed a black 6 pin connector, just as you mentioned.  I checked thee power supply and the only other connectors available are 1 ea. white 6 pin connector and 1 ea. white 2 pin connector, so I may be shot down before ever lifting off.

However, here is the other data you brought up in case there could be a work-around for the 6 pin connector issue.
Monitor info:

Dell U3014t monitor (30")
Dell U3014t Tech Specs
Dell U3014t Overview

As for display port, they should be listed in the Tech Specs linked above, but from actually looking at the back of the monitor I saw several different ports, but I really don't know one from the other.

I have 2 ea. that say SS with a Bluetooth symbol by them.
I have 1 ea. DP out
I have 2 ea. DP ins but they are different shapes
I have 1 ea. HDMI port
I have 1 ea. DVI-D port, which is the port I'm currently using.

As for room, I think I have plenty of space within the cabinet for a bigger card.  The current card takes up 2 spaces and there are an additional 2 empty space next to it.

I hope this is enough info for you to help.

I appreciate your effort and kindness more than you know.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 20, 2020 1:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DP in is the Display Port input on the monitor and on the Grahics card it would be DP out - it is shaped a little like a full size HDMI but isn't symmetrical from one side to the other.
DVI-D is a very old interface from the late 90's that nobody really uses anymore due to both susceptibility of electronic interference and also due to the fact that it can only give you 8 bits per color. HDMI is 8 bit too but at least it doesn't have the electronic interference susceptibility.

BUT, you power supply is probably not big enough for a significant upgrade in graphics card. Given that your processor is a 4 generation old processor, the power supply limitations I think I would keep the system going as is until you are ready to buy a new computer. To significantly upgrade the existing computer, you are now looking at a new power supply, new GPU card and then you would still be saddled with an older processor.

by Bill Chambers on Wed May 20, 2020 1:34 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
EDIT - Hi E.J. -  Thanks for your answer above.  I didn't see it before I posted this post.

As an additional to the information I supplied above, I may (hope, pray) have found a card that will work.  It's the only 6 pin connector card I've found so far, but I'm still looking.

6 pin card

My current power supply is 500 watts, and this card says it will work on 500 w or better power supply.  That sounds like it's cutting it close, but I hope that's ok.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by flygirl on Wed May 20, 2020 4:35 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Bill Chambers wrote:EDIT - Hi E.J. -  Thanks for your answer above.  I didn't see it before I posted this post.

As an additional to the information I supplied above, I may (hope, pray) have found a card that will work.  It's the only 6 pin connector card I've found so far, but I'm still looking.

6 pin card

My current power supply is 500 watts, and this card says it will work on 500 w or better power supply.  That sounds like it's cutting it close, but I hope that's ok.

I was in similar situation with my 5 year old Dell XPS and found this 6GB card that worked a treat.

[font=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 06G-P4-6163-KR, 6GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), Only 6.8 Inches[/font]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 20, 2020 4:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:EDIT - Hi E.J. -  Thanks for your answer above.  I didn't see it before I posted this post.

6 pin card

They can't possibly say that because that power supply has to work with the card plus all the other stuff in the computer.  You would have to figure out how much maximum draw you have now to determine how much more consumption you can handle.  But I went to the EVGA site to find out the exact power draw and it's 130W and your current card is 125W so it's a total wash.  This would be a pretty significant upgrade from what you currently have.  BUT.... the specs on the EVGA site says that it uses an 8 pin connector... and then I look at the photos on the NewEgg site and the card clearly has a 6-pin connector however the photo on the EVGA site of the same card has an 8 pin connector so I'm wondering if they changed it at some point during the run of this model.  In the end, you could always order the card and if it's a 6 pin connector, then you are good to go, if it's an 8-pin, you could either return the card or install an 8 pin cable.  Look on your power supply to see if you can simply plug an 8-pin cable to it, then you would be fine.  
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1161-KR

by DChan on Wed May 20, 2020 5:17 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
The slot width of the GTX 1660 is 2.75 slots while that of GTX 960 is dual slot. Are they of the same width? Make sure your computer have enough room for the new card.

by Bill Chambers on Wed May 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:The slot width of the GTX 1660 is 2.75 slots while that of GTX 960 is dual slot. Are they of the same width? Make sure your computer have enough room for the new card.
You're correct, but I have 2 additional slots right next to my current card so that shouldn't be a problem.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Wed May 20, 2020 5:47 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:

6 pin card

They can't possibly say that because that power supply has to work with the card plus all the other stuff in the computer.  You would have to figure out how much maximum draw you have now to determine how much more consumption you can handle.  But I went to the EVGA site to find out the exact power draw and it's 130W and your current card is 125W so it's a total wash.  This would be a pretty significant upgrade from what you currently have.  BUT.... the specs on the EVGA site says that it uses an 8 pin connector... and then I look at the photos on the NewEgg site and the card clearly has a 6-pin connector however the photo on the EVGA site of the same card has an 8 pin connector so I'm wondering if they changed it at some point during the run of this model.  In the end, you could always order the card and if it's a 6 pin connector, then you are good to go, if it's an 8-pin, you could either return the card or install an 8 pin cable.  Look on your power supply to see if you can simply plug an 8-pin cable to it, then you would be fine.  
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1161-KR
This is excellent news!  Very happy.  It appears the difference in the 6 pin vs 8 pin may in the number 06G-P4-1160-KR & 06G-P4-1161-KR.  Thank you for your help and kindness to research this so much!!!!

I'm looking at the 1160 and the link you posted is 1161.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Wed May 20, 2020 5:50 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thank you everyone who responded to my question. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 20, 2020 6:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Interesting, so it is just an older model as the 1160 doesn't show as a current card but I would definitely snatch it up as it will be a super easy upgrade. All nVidia chipset based GEForce cards use the same driver so it should be totally plug and play. You might want to just make sure you are updated to the latest driver now and then all you will need to do is pop in the new card and boot.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
By the way, if you use the Topaz AI stuff, make sure you launch each program, go into the preferences, select GPU and High for GPU memory usage in the Advanced options.  It will make a mind boggling difference in performance for those programs.

by Bill Chambers on Wed May 20, 2020 7:04 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:By the way, if you use the Topaz AI stuff, make sure you launch each program, go into the preferences, select GPU and High for GPU memory usage.  It will make a mind boggling difference in performance for those programs.
Excellent. I will check the driver to see if it's been updated, and I will definitely check the AI preferences.  I will welcome the improvements!

One further question please, or a clarification.  If I understand your earlier comments about cabling, I should be using the DP cable for the best performance, correct?

Thanks again!
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 21, 2020 12:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:By the way, if you use the Topaz AI stuff, make sure you launch each program, go into the preferences, select GPU and High for GPU memory usage.  It will make a mind boggling difference in performance for those programs.
Excellent. I will check the driver to see if it's been updated, and I will definitely check the AI preferences.  I will welcome the improvements!

One further question please, or a clarification.  If I understand your earlier comments about cabling, I should be using the DP cable for the best performance, correct?

Thanks again!
If you want to use the full capability of the graphics card, yes.  You may have a cable already.  Many monitors bundle them.

by Bill Chambers on Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Great, I don't currently have one but will order one today. I figure the card and cable should get here about the same time. Can't wait.

Thanks again, E.J.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by DChan on Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Bill Chambers wrote:Great, I don't currently have one but will order one today.  I figure the card and cable should get here about the same time.  Can't wait.

Thanks again, E.J.
HDMI, DP...you may not notice any difference between them. I've tried both and am using DP.

by Bill Chambers on Thu May 21, 2020 4:51 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Bill Chambers wrote:Great, I don't currently have one but will order one today.  I figure the card and cable should get here about the same time.  Can't wait.

Thanks again, E.J.
HDMI, DP...you may not notice any difference between them. I've tried both and am using DP.
True.  I'm buying the cable more for the future than current times.  E.J. mentioned that it supports 10 bit color which SOME graphics cards allow, but the card I purchased might not be one of those cards, but my next computer may well have a card that will support it.  Either way, cables are cheap so I may as well get the better one.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:

Thanks again, E.J.
The difference is that DP can utilize the 10 bit per color output that the card is capable of, HDMI can not.  Whether or not your eyes can see it and your monitor can display it is dependent on your eyes and the monitor :)

23 posts |