All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
As many of you know, especially those that have been around the site for many years, I spent 27 years of my life working for Intel in various engineering, manufacturing and entry level through senior management positions.  I retired from there in January 2010.  At that time, Intel had an almost insurmountable lead in microprocessor performance and virtually all photographers needing computing power for their imaging chose Intel processors.  Despite my natural bias towards Intel, it is not lost on me that AMD has made dramatic strides in the last few years while Intel has, at times, stumbled and today, AMD offers incredible price/performance even for users looking for very high performance systems for imaging and film making.  Today I stumbled on this article from Tom's Hardware that really looks at the performance differences well.  A lot of the article is about gaming performance but if you read on, it does get into content creation and productivity later in the article...

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-vs-intel-cpus

by Ed Cordes on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:27 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Really interesting read. However, much of it is way over my head. However, as new processing software and new high MP cameras require more and more computer power it is obvious that my 1 1/2 year old Puget Systems machine with an i7 six core 3.7 GHz processor will need replacing sooner rather than later.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Ed Cordes wrote:Really interesting read.  However, much of it is way over my head. However, as new processing software and new high MP cameras require more and more computer power it is obvious that my 1 1/2 year old Puget Systems machine with an i7 six core 3.7 GHz processor will need replacing sooner rather than later.
Six cores is 12 execution threads plus a 3.7GHz base clock which probably means at least 4.5GHz on a single thread with what is probably an 8th generation i7 (look for the 4 digit number after i7 as in i7-xxxx for the generation) is likely to still be a good performer for some time as long as you have plenty of memory and a fast graphics card.  Personally I consider 32GB to be an absolute bare minimum these days for a desktop computer and 64 to be a better choice.

3 posts |