Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:38 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Photoshop will correct vignetting.  Some fast lenses wide open can have as much as 4 stop drop off in the corners.  There is a limit even with raw as to how much you can brighten things before noise and other issues become a problem.  Any thoughts on how much you can lift the corners without drawing attention to them.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:45 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I use some NR if lifting it becomes a problem, but overall to be honest, I keep a bit because it draws the viewers eyes to the subject which for me, is usually not in the corners.

by Kim on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:46 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
If your lens is wide open and there is nothing or very little detail in the top corners then it is easy to use the Fill/Content Aware tool or the patch tool to repair the area with out worries about noise. If using the latest version of Photoshop then there is a whole pannel devoted to the Fill/content tool where you can specify the content you want to use to correct the area,

Heaps of tutorials on the net covering that.

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I guess I should add this is for milky way photography and this is why I'd like to shoot wide open so I can keep the shutter speed within the 400/focal lengh rule to keep stars as points. I actually add vignetting to some prints to do as you suggested. I can try the content aware tool too.

by Kim on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:04 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
I do a lot of milkyway photography and I use the software to correct the drop off available in lightroom. If that does not work I then use the method outlined above in Photoshop. Do it first in Photoshop then run noise reduction on the image before proceeding with any other edits. It is great to reduce the tendencey to get streeky strars in the top corners too.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:14 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Thanks. Just not sure how much was left with a 4 stop fall off.

6 posts |