by DChan on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:08 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
See here:

TopazLabs announced the new Sharpen AI plugin

by DChan on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
You may want to uninstall the current version (doesn't hurt to restart your computer), download the new installer from Topaz, then install the new version.

by dbolt on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:08 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
DChan,

Question, should AISharpen go in the Topaz Labs or Topaz labs LLC folder on a Win10 machine? The new V 2.0.1 loaded in the topaz Labs LLC folder, but v 1.46.? was in the Topaz Labs folder.
Topaz support has been troubleshooting why AISharpen and AIMask both cause my Win10 machine to crash shortly after the program starts the calibration phase after loading an image. Very good support, I might add. Both programs run fine on my Macbook Air, but I don't want to process many images on the MBA. The other Topaz programs run fine on the Win10 PC. Any suggestions or explanation for the issue?
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Basically Topaz's multiple installers over time makes a mess of a Windows PC resulting in duplicate instalations in different folders of different versions and eventually Photoshop gets confused.  I have worked on trying to sort this out for several days and the way to totally deal with it is as follows:
1. Go into Control Panel > Programs and Features
2. Unistall every single TOPAz AI program
3. Go into your Downloads folder and delete every single Topaz AI product
4. Reboot your computer
5. Run a registry cleaner.  The free version of ccleaner works fine.
6. Rerun the registry cleaner to get rid of any bad registry entries caused by the first clean
7. Reboot
8. Login to your TOPAZ account and go to Account > Purchased Prodcucts
9. Redownload every product you own - they all go into your downloads folder
10. Install every product (in most cases, the previous settings you had customized in preferences for each product will be retained but check each one)
11. Launch Photoshop and In Preferences > Plug-ins select Topaz Labs (not the one with LLC)
12. Exit Photoshop
13. Re-enter Photoshop

Everything will be fine from this point on until Topaz decides to change installers architecture again.

Overall, Topaz installers are an unmitigated disaster.

by dbolt on Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:01 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Thanks, EJ.
Now I have something useful to do while confined to our apartment.
And, maybe I can get your suggestions completed before my trial period ends. I am reluctant to purchase a product that I can't run. Although, I'm convinced that a solution to my issue exists.

doug
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The new version of Sharpen AI put me over the edge.  Despite pointing to the right folder, Photoshop kept wanting to go to the old version asking to upgrade again.  So when I removed the old version and repointed Photoshop to the new version, it just crashed after telling me no such plug-in exists.  There were similar problems although not as severe when the latest version of DeNoise was introduced.  It's caused by the confusion of the two different Topaz plug-in folders that are created and Topaz installing updates to different folders when running the upgrade.  After time, Photoshop can no longer keep track and just blows up.  I don't know if that is your problem but in general, almost all Topaz problems caused by their really poor installers can be fixed by doing the steps above.  This is the second time since they started with their AI products that I've had to do this to keep things running right and it's all due to the fact that they sometimes decide to change folders with just a simple upgrade.

by Ed Cordes on Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:57 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
E.J. Peiker wrote:The new version of Sharpen AI put me over the edge.  Despite pointing to the right folder, Photoshop kept wanting to go to the old version asking to upgrade again.  So when I removed the old version and repointed Photoshop to the new version, it just crashed after telling me no such plug-in exists.  There were similar problems although not as severe when the latest version of DeNoise was introduced.  It's caused by the confusion of the two different Topaz plug-in folders that are created and Topaz installing updates to different folders when running the upgrade.  After time, Photoshop can no longer keep track and just blows up.  I don't know if that is your problem but in general, almost all Topaz problems caused by their really poor installers can be fixed by doing the steps above.  This is the second time since they started with their AI products that I've had to do this to keep things running right and it's all due to the fact that they sometimes decide to change folders with just a simple upgrade.
Maybe along with "Artificial Intelligence" it's time for some good old fashioned "Real Human Intelligence"?
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

7 posts |