« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by dbolt on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:08 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I've tried copying the contents of the PS 2019cc Plugin folder to the PS 2020 Plugin folder in a Windows 10 Pro PC with no success. Although the NIK filters are listed in the Filter dropdown, the "goto" icon is grayed out. I also tried installing the filters (as administrator) from the NIKcollection-full-1.2.11.exe and pointing the install folder to PS 2020/Plugin. The files are in the folder, but PS 2020 Filter drowdown shows the NIK filter option with the grayed out goto icon.

I've tinkered with the permissions, and I must have done something foolish because now PS 2019cc does not let me access the NIK filters.  Like PS 2020, the goto NIK (and other filters) are grayed out and not available.

Windows 10 Pro was recently upgraded from ver 1903 to 1909.  This may contribute to the problem.  Not certain, but I have discovered that some permissions were changed by the upgrade.  I assumed/hoped the changes were simply correcting changes that had been made over the years.  Maybe not...

Any help would be much appreciated.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Download the 2.13 version - it's free if you have the version you have, you just need to go to the DXO-Nik site and log into your account there and download it there to have them not try to charge you. It should install normally. I have no problem with Win 10 - 1909. It is a very minor update.

by dbolt on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:35 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J.,

I don't have an account with DXO, so I could not download any ver other than the newest v 2.3.1, which is a trial version. I decided to install the trial with some reluctance. I bought the original NIK software for full price and I am reluctant to shell out another $100. But, I went ahead and installed v 2.3.1, however the filters are still not available. The package name is listed along side a grayed out goto icon, which is much like the issue i was having trying to install the Google package - filters are not available.

I keep thinking that permissions are not set correctly based upon other issues following upgrading Win 10 to 1909. In order to get 1909 installed, I did a Windows refresh (without losing data and apps). If problems were introduced by changed permissions, it was probably the refresh that did it rather than the actual upgrade to 1909.

Are the NIK filters referenced in any folder than the PS2020\Plugin? There are lots of DXO listings in the register, but not many NIK.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by dbolt on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:48 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
dbolt wrote:Thanks, E.J.,

I don't have an account with DXO, so I could not download any ver other than the newest v 2.3.1, which is a trial version.  I decided to install the trial with some reluctance.  I bought the original NIK software for full price and I am reluctant to shell out another $100.  But, I went ahead and installed v 2.3.1, however the filters are still not available.  The package name is listed along side a grayed out goto icon, which is much like the issue i was having trying to install the Google package - filters are not available.  

I keep thinking that permissions are not set correctly based upon other issues following upgrading Win 10 to 1909.  In order to get 1909 installed, I did a Windows refresh (without losing data and apps).  If problems were introduced by changed permissions, it was probably the refresh that did it rather than the actual upgrade to 1909.

Are the NIK filters referenced in any folder than the PS2020\Plugin?  There are lots of DXO listings in the register, but not many NIK.
I have attached a clip of the Filters dropdown showing the grayed out goto icons.

doug
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The attachment isn't showing. Make sure that under Preferences > Plug-ins in Photoshop, you are pointing to the folder that has the Nik Plug-ins.

by dbolt on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:12 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The attachment isn't showing.  Make sure that under Preferences > Plug-ins in Photoshop, you are pointing to the folder that has the Nik Plug-ins.
E.J.,
On the previous attempt to upload the screen clip, the image looked to be going above ,or in, your quote.  I didn't preview it.  My mistake.  Note that the Topaz filters are also grayed out.  

Regarding your suggestion: "[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Preferences > Plug-ins in Photoshop, you are pointing to the folder that has the Nik Plug-ins.  "[/font]
[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Where do I look for that info.  Here is a clip of the PS >preference>Plug-in screen.[/font]
[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]

Below are clips from Win Explorer showing the Plugin files for PS 2019 and 2020.[/font]

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
This guy has an alternate way of getting Photoshop to recognize the Nik suite. by creating a shortcut to the suite in the plug-ins folder in Photoshop. You can ignore the first 2:35 or so and just go straight to the part where he crates a shortcut for the Nik Suite and then places it into the appropriate PS CC folder and then PS recognized them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GDG2120zA

by flygirl on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:34 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
dbolt wrote:Thanks, E.J.,

I don't have an account with DXO, so I could not download any ver other than the newest v 2.3.1, which is a trial version.  I decided to install the trial with some reluctance.  I bought the original NIK software for full price and I am reluctant to shell out another $100.  But, I went ahead and installed v 2.3.1, however the filters are still not available.  The package name is listed along side a grayed out goto icon, which is much like the issue i was having trying to install the Google package - filters are not available.  

I keep thinking that permissions are not set correctly based upon other issues following upgrading Win 10 to 1909.  In order to get 1909 installed, I did a Windows refresh (without losing data and apps).  If problems were introduced by changed permissions, it was probably the refresh that did it rather than the actual upgrade to 1909.

Are the NIK filters referenced in any folder than the PS2020\Plugin?  There are lots of DXO listings in the register, but not many NIK.

I think most of us paid in the beginning, but from my point of view, I believe it is worth paying DxO because first they bought it from Google and are keeping it up to date.  i really think it is an awesome plugin and do not mind the rather small cost, relatively so, to DxO for keeping it alive.

by Phil Shaw on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:37 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I had a problem reinstalling Nik when I recently had a computer problem.  I had on previous up-grades etc copied the files across to the new system, but last time, nothing I tried would work.  I even had the original installation files, but no joy.  Someone at DPreview kindly pointed me to this link and it worked.

NIK Collection of Filters (Mac/Windows) 1.2.11 : Google/NIK : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by dbolt on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:07 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Phil Shaw wrote:I had a problem reinstalling Nik when I recently had a computer problem.  I had on previous up-grades etc copied the files across to the new system, but last time, nothing I tried would work.  I even had the original installation files, but no joy.  Someone at DPreview kindly pointed me to this link and it worked.

NIK Collection of Filters (Mac/Windows) 1.2.11 : Google/NIK : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Phil Shaw wrote:I had a problem reinstalling Nik when I recently had a computer problem.  I had on previous up-grades etc copied the files across to the new system, but last time, nothing I tried would work.  I even had the original installation files, but no joy.  Someone at DPreview kindly pointed me to this link and it worked.

[font="Diaria Light Pro", sans-serif]Thanks, Phil.  I have been using this package in both PC and Mac formats.  I'm still working on getting the PC to accept the NIK software in the PS 2020 version.  PS 2019 works fine.  I deleted the NIK folders in Adobe\PS2020\Plugin folder, uninstalled 2020, ran CCleaner, reinstalled PS2020, and reinstalled the Google complete file. Same problem.  Grayed out NIK filters in the Filters pulldown.  [/font]

[font="Diaria Light Pro", sans-serif]I think there is something strange about how Win10 pro v 1909 is installed on this PC.  Windows update failed to upgrade win v 1903 on several automatic attempts, so I reinstalled 1903 (using the keep data and apps method).  After the refresh, Windows Update successfully upgraded to 1909. [/font]

[font="Diaria Light Pro", sans-serif]I downloaded and installed the "try" version of DXO Nik files.  Same result.  NIK filers are grayed out.[/font]
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Doug, please stop HTML formatting your text - it is making your posts hard to read.  This is usually caused by cutting and pasting text.  If you must cut-and paste, click on the little paper icon at on the right side of the icon bar right above the text entry box first, before pasting the text.  This causes the text to go in as unformatted text.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Have you tried what I posted above in the YouTube video? It seems to solve the exact problem you are having.

by dbolt on Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:50 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Have you tried what I posted above in the YouTube video?  It seems to solve the exact problem you are having.
E.J.,

Yes, I did that earlier, plus several other approaches that failed.  But there is good news.  The original NIK filters are now working in both PS 2019 and PS 2020.  What seemed to be preventing the previous installs was something about 2020.  I uninstalled 2020 and reinstalled it via the Creative Cloud app.  Then I copied the Google folder from the \2019\Plugin folder and pasted it in the 2020\plugin folder.  All filters are now working in 2020.  PS preferences were lost by the reinstall, but at least 2020 is working fine, and I do not need the DXO package.

Thanks for your help.  As to the HTML issues, I must have copy/pasted some, but not all  of my replies.  I don't see the icon you mentioned. 
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dbolt wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Have you tried what I posted above in the YouTube video?  It seems to solve the exact problem you are having.
E.J.,

Yes, I did that earlier, plus several other approaches that failed.  But there is good news.  The original NIK filters are now working in both PS 2019 and PS 2020.  What seemed to be preventing the previous installs was something about 2020.  I uninstalled 2020 and reinstalled it via the Creative Cloud app.  Then I copied the Google folder from the \2019\Plugin folder and pasted it in the 2020\plugin folder.  All filters are now working in 2020.  PS preferences were lost by the reinstall, but at least 2020 is working fine, and I do not need the DXO package.

Thanks for your help.  As to the HTML issues, I must have copy/pasted some, but not all  of my replies.  I don't see the icon you mentioned. 
You only get it if you reply with quote or use the Reply button but not when you use the quick reply button.

14 posts |