Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You can see all the details here:
https://www.captureone.com/en/whatsnew

Here's a short video on the new features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA08yckbmcU

Here is a much more detailed video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwPZrSoEjQ

Upgrade price is $159 but usually there are discount codes that can be found.

by DOglesby on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 am
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Don't know why they couldn't have been more transparent about all the new features earlier but the new features look nice for the most part. I'm still waiting for the ability to stack images though. Sigh. That would've gotten me to upgrade on the spot. As it is, I'm not sure yet if I will upgrade since some of the interface updates just catch up to what Lightroom has had for a longgggg time and I've learned to live without them without a terrible amount of concern and some don't really benefit my workflow - like drag to adjust color and white and black sliders. To expand on that:

They've put the white and black sliders in the HDR toolset. I'm very glad they've added those but I wonder if it does anything different than what you could get using levels. At least it should be a bit easier to remove haze.

With respect to the click-and-drag to adjust color, that's great but I would've much rather seen the implementation done for curves like Lightroom has. I guess there's some higher purpose in mind with just adding it to the color tool that I'm not seeing. Portrait photographers maybe? I may be a more narrow use case then they are after but I don't see how that is going to benefit me at all since I live in the color toolset anyway - e.g., after using the eye dropper to pick my color, I'm using the other color tools to fine tune the selection so I'm rarely ever going to just click-drag and be done...

Scrolling tool tabs is nice. Improved NR sounds appealing but it really has to be great for me to abandon my third party tools - e.g., allow me to do it locally in a layer, not globally like the implementation has historically been and likely is still or they would've mentioned it.

Hmmm.
Cheers,
Doug

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:14 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Kind of funny, I was a beta tester and now that the full version is out, I can't activate the official version for some reason! Hopefully, support has a solution soon.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DOglesby wrote:
They've put the white and black sliders in the HDR toolset. I'm very glad they've added those but I wonder if it does anything different than what you could get using levels.  
Check out the longer video in the links above for the answer to that - it is actually very different.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Kind of funny, I was a beta tester and now that the full version is out, I can't activate the official version for some reason! Hopefully, support has a solution soon.
Completely uninstall the Beta and reinstall the official version - that's pretty typical for transitioning from betas to full versions for many applications.

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Kind of funny, I was a beta tester and now that the full version is out, I can't activate the official version for some reason! Hopefully, support has a solution soon.
Completely uninstall the Beta and reinstall the official version - that's pretty typical for transitioning from betas to full versions for many applications.

Got it, thanks!

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tons of videos on C1P 20:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJgJWI ... VEQ/videos

by EGrav on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:06 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Some people should just stick with Adobe, I guess. :)

Last edited by EGrav on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
archfotos wrote:I literally can not believe with thirteen versions C1 still can not merge HDR brackets, focus stacking nor stitch panos or work with pixel shifting!?! Wow!  Nor can it export HEIF files.  This update seems more like a fleecing than an actual update.
Granted that this is largely an interface refinement and existing feature refinement to C1P v. 12.

Just FYI, focus stacking in C1P is done via a Helicon Focus plug-in to C1P which, for non-users of Phase One cameras is a purchase and is free to PhaseOne digital back users.  Phase One and Helicon have been strategic partners for several years so I'm not surprised that they have decided not to step on a partner.

If not familiar with Helicon, it is also available as a stand alone and is vastly superior to focus stacking in LR or PS.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Here's a very good summary of the new features and general impressions at the bottom. While much of it seems like paraphrasing Phase Ones own descriptions of the new features, the final section does cover impressions and frustrations and includes some of the omissions cited by some above...
https://photopxl.com/phase-ones-capture ... -released/

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:17 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
archfotos wrote:I literally can not believe with thirteen versions C1 still can not merge HDR brackets, focus stacking nor stitch panos or work with pixel shifting!?! Wow!  Nor can it export HEIF files.  This update seems more like a fleecing than an actual update.
Granted that this is largely an interface refinement and existing feature refinement to C1P v. 12.

Just FYI, focus stacking in C1P is done via a Helicon Focus plug-in to C1P which, for non-users of Phase One cameras is a purchase and is free to PhaseOne digital back users.  Phase One and Helicon have been strategic partners for several years so I'm not surprised that they have decided not to step on a partner.

If not familiar with Helicon, it is also available as a stand alone and is vastly superior to focus stacking in LR or PS.
How does Helicon compare to Zerene? I bought Zerene years ago because Helicon had a subscription model.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You can buy a lifetime license with unlimited updates of Helicon. I haven't used Zerene in years so i can't really comment.

by balazs on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:44 pm
balazs
Forum Contributor
Just took advantage of the Black Friday sales, installed version 12, and before i could even use it, there is version 20 out! There was a free upgrade included. A quick question for the more experienced users. Is there a way to click two or more images and "open as layers in photoshop"? No big deal if not, but would be nice if there were such a feature. 

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You can certainly open multiple images and load them all into Photoshop but not into photoshop layers. You just have to drag the layers on top of each other after they open in PS. It would be nice though :)

by balazs on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:56 am
balazs
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. i am a beginner and your comment did help.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:19 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
balazs wrote:Thanks E.J. i am a beginner and your comment did help.
An easy alternative that I use when I have a lot of images for a stack (which would be a pain to do the drag and drop thing in PS) is to send them all out of C1 to a temporary folder instead of Photoshop.  Then I open Bridge (an old version in my case since I do not use CC) and then select the images and select Tools > Photoshop > Open as layers in Photoshop

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:20 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
I'm a little slow to the party here.  I upgraded from v10 to v11 three months before the v12 upgrade.  I guess it I got my nose a little out of joint when I inquired about an upgrade discount given the timing, they informed me I'd have to pay full price to go from v11 to v12.  The steam has subsided.   I'm now looking to upgrade and I go to the C1 website and the upgrade price is $199 to go to v20.  Thinking this seemed a little thick for an upgrade I went to B&H and they offer an upgrade to v12 for $149.  Obviously they are different products.  Is it worth the extra $50 to buy v20?

by sdaconsulting on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:10 am
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
I have a workflow of Bridge + ACR + photoshop (on those images which need significant work).

I'd be glad to switch to C1 or another product but I can't find anything that matches the workflow I have gotten used to, so I don't switch.
Matthew Cromer

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
sdaconsulting wrote:I have a workflow of Bridge + ACR + photoshop (on those images which need significant work).

I'd be glad to switch to C1 or another product but I can't find anything that matches the workflow I have gotten used to, so I don't switch.
It's essentially the same workflow as that accept you don't have to go from a browser to a raw converter (Bridge to ACR) before Going to PS since the browser and RAW converter are one and the same in C1P (or lightroom for that matter).  

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Good article on what to spend your computer $$$ on for best Capture One performance:
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/where ... pture-one/

29 posts |