All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Ed Cordes on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:47 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I am following up on Jim Zipp's thread on System back up.  I have downloaded and installed the free version of the Marcium Reflect 7 software.  The manual is sometimes a bit above my head so I am asking some questions.  My main use will be for disaster recovery in the event of HD failure or very bad malware which would require either a reformatting of the disk or a new HD altogether.  

I am assuming I would use the "image" option as if I need a new disk the size may be different?  I also think I understand that I must create an USB with Rescue Media so Windows PE can boot and complete the restore operation.  I have 3 different machines can one USB rescue media be used on any of these or does each machine need its own USB Rescue Media?  If the Image is on an external HD do I assume correctly that this drive will be connected to one USB port and the USB containing the Rescue Media connected to another?

Sorry to be so uninformed, but I am still learning about this process.  Thanks, as always,  for any help.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would use the clone option to a different HD or SSD because then it's a simple swap of the disk that you cloned to for the disk that failed without first having to go through a very complex recovery process that is fraught with dangers and gotchas.

by Ed Cordes on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:02 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. Good advice, as always. I kept reading about the recovery process and the more I read , the more I was confused. I certainly want to learn about this prior to actually needing it. Thanks again.

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:21 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I would use the clone option to a different HD or SSD because then it's a simple swap of the disk that you cloned to for the disk that failed without first having to go through a very complex recovery process that is fraught with dangers and gotchas.

In EJ's build he has a mirror swapadisk.  is this what you are using it for?

by Ed Cordes on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:41 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I would use the clone option to a different HD or SSD because then it's a simple swap of the disk that you cloned to for the disk that failed without first having to go through a very complex recovery process that is fraught with dangers and gotchas.

In EJ's build he has a mirror swapadisk.  is this what you are using it for?
Thanks for the comment.  I plan to back up on a dedicated external HD - old traditional spinning HD.  The system I am backing up has the OS and software on the C drive, with images and data on other drives.  I will only use this system to BU the C drive as all images a data are back up on other drives.

5 posts |