« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by DChan on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:46 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Support for Windows 7 is nearing the end

January 14, 2020 is the date.

And they say the new DxO Photolab 3 does not work in Windows 7.

by WJaekel on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:54 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:Support for Windows 7 is nearing the end

well, then I skip DxO 3. I will stay with my Win7 Ultimate machine for photo work as song as I can - not to mention the trouble to reinstall all the programs, NAS connections and Home servers in my network.  If serious security problems show up after January 14, 2020, I will cut the internet connection while working on that machine. My wife has Windows 10 Home on her Laptop. It's simply a horror with long delays in booting, numerous pop up windows showing up all the time blocking the things you want to do, ads, continous tracking attempts and privacy issues, bugs in the updates, resets in your preferences to name a few of the extremely annoying points. I know that others seem to be happy with win 10, though.

Wolfgang

by DavidSutton on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:58 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
I'm also staying with Windows 7 as long as possible. It works fine.
I have a friend beta testing Windows 11. He says it assumes the user is a complete moron. Think Mr Paperclip on steroids with privacy issues added.
He also runs a Mac. That's not doing much better. It breaks and they won't repair it, and every new upgrade of the os involves loss of functionality.
David Sutton

by DChan on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:12 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:

well, then I skip DxO 3. I will stay with my Win7 Ultimate machine for photo work as song as I can - not to mention the trouble to reinstall all the programs, NAS connections and Home servers in my network.  If serious security problems show up after January 14, 2020, I will cut the internet connection while working on that machine. My wife has Windows 10 Home on her Laptop. It's simply a horror with long delays in booting, numerous pop up windows showing up all the time blocking the things you want to do, ads, continous tracking attempts and privacy issues, bugs in the updates, resets in your preferences to name a few of the extremely annoying points. I know that others seem to be happy with win 10, though.

Wolfgang
But you're not only skipping DxO 3, you're skipping all the later versions of it and may be of programs from other companies as well. As long as you're not buying a new camera, that should be ok.

Perhaps you should scan your wife's laptop for malwares cuz they could affect the running of the computer. I have Windows 10 pro at home and I have never experienced what you described about Windows 10 Home. At work I also use laptop with Windows 10. Nothing like you described either.

by WJaekel on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:56 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
WJaekel wrote:

Wolfgang
But you're not only skipping DxO 3, you're skipping all the later versions of it and may be of programs from other companies as well. As long as you're not buying a new camera, that should be ok.

Perhaps you should scan your wife's laptop for malwares cuz they could affect the running of the computer. I have Windows 10 pro at home and I have never experienced what you described about Windows 10 Home. At work I also use laptop with Windows 10. Nothing like you described either.
I know that some time in the future later versions of my programs (or updates for new cameras) maybe won't be available for win7 anymore. If that happens I will have to decide what to do. Even today, the more recent LR Classic CC updates obviously cannot be installed on a win7 system. But I'm not into Adobe's subscription model; that's why I'm fortunately not affected in this regard. So as said, I will try to stay with win7 ultimate as long as possible.

My wife has Norton Internet Security installed and the recent scans of her laptop didn't reveal any malware. But maybe your win 10 pro works different from the Home version, i.e. giving more freedom and options in the personal preferences so that you don't experience the issues described above. That would be a good thing, at least.

Wolfgang

by signgrap on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Wolfgang, I have one desktop with Win 10 Pro and another with 10 Home + 2 laptops with 10 Home. None of them have issues like you describe. It sounds like your wife's computer still has a lot of crap ware that was installed by the computer manufacturer. ALL this crap ware should be uninstalled. You also may want to check the settings of your AV software and see what messages can be turned off without affecting security. I'm not a fan of Norton AV as it tends to slow down startup and just generally slow everything the computer does - much prefer Bitdefender. You also should look at what the system is loading at startup. Every program you install thinks they are the most important piece of software on the computer and start some of its services at startup slowing everything. I've disabled more than 3/4's of these programs on all my computers. Just go into Task Manager and click the Startup tab. Do not disable any of the Windows utilities or any of the AV utilities but most of the software services you have installed usually can be disabled. If you have a question about what can be turned off, just take a screenshot of the startup tab and post it here and get confirmation of what can be turned off. When I upgraded my two desk tops to Win 10 both computers booted faster on Win 10 than they did on Win 7.
Dick Ludwig

by WJaekel on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Wolfgang, I have one desktop with Win 10 Pro and another with 10 Home + 2 laptops with 10 Home.  None of them have issues like you describe.  It sounds like your wife's computer still has a lot of crap ware that was installed by the computer manufacturer.  ALL this crap ware should be uninstalled.  You also may want to check the settings of your AV software and see what messages can be turned off without affecting security.   I'm not a fan of Norton AV as it tends to slow down startup and just generally slow everything the computer does - much prefer Bitdefender.  You also should look at what the system is loading at startup. Every program you install thinks they are the most important piece of software on the computer and start some of its services at startup slowing everything.  I've disabled more than 3/4's of these programs on all my computers.   Just go into Task Manager and click the Startup tab.  Do not disable any of the Windows utilities or any of the AV utilities but most of the software services you have installed usually can be disabled.   If you have a question about what can be turned off, just take a screenshot of the startup tab and post it here and get confirmation of what can be turned off.  When I upgraded my two desk tops to Win 10 both computers booted faster on Win 10 than they did on Win 7.
Dick, thank you very much for your comments and advices. I guess you're right concerning the crap ware possibly being one of the reasons of the issues. My wife bought the laptop at an electronic warehouse not at a special computer shop. So it makes sens that they had installed a lot of bloatware and crap. I have not dealt with Win 10 much to date because I personally don't use it  and had no time to look into it in detail. I just have watched my wife complaining every time she boots her laptop and wants to work with it. Nevertheless, as soon as I've more time I will check the task manager for the startup programs and try to find out which apps can be uninstalled or deactivated, at least. That said, I've seen the frequent reports of bugs reported with nearly each update of win 10 and generally I'm no fan of all these cloud-based applications trying to tie the users - see Adobe -, spying on their data and plant ads on them. Maybe that's old school. But as said, my win7 ultimate machine works just fine and stable with all the numerous programs, additional plug ins, NAS and Home servers in my network. So I stand by my opinion to keep it as long as possible for my work rather than running into unknown and time- consuming problems with win 10 - not to mention to find all the licences and reinstalling everything. I know that I maybe will be forced to rethink it in the future.

Wolfgang

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:58 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I fail to see windows 10 as an improvement.  More unnecessary bells and whistles, junk in background running to pull processing power from the things I want.  A lot of the "improvements" are moving buttons around and taking off written lables and replacing them with unintelligible symbols.  It updates itself and suddenly programs I installed have to be reinstalled.  It really really stinks.  I doubt windows 11 willl be windows 10 fixed.  I moved to 10 out of fear of what 11 will be.

by WJaekel on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:04 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I also don't see win10 as an improvement either and will keep my win7 ultimate installation as long as possible as said above. I don't know yet if  the upcoming CaptureOne 20 I just preordered will go the same route as DxO photolab 3 not supporting win7 anymore. In this case, I might be forced to rethink my decision in the long run, unfortunately. So just in case, I'm interested to know, if anybody has successfully migrated from win7 to win10 without losing all your stuff and the need of reinstalling and re-licensing numerous programs, plug-ins etc ? Apart from my numerous network and special home server configurations, I'm especially concerned regarding my Adobe stand alone products such as PS CS6 and LR 4 though E.J. had reported a successful reinstallation of CS6 some time ago. But I want to make sure not to be locked out from PS and forced into the subscription model after all. Anyway, I don't know if the MS media creation tool is a reliable option for migrating the programs here ? I also came across the "zinstall" program which is pretty expensive, though, but apparently got good reviews. Anybody has used it ? I know that a clean installation probably would be the best option whenever I need to bite the bullet to upgrade to win 10 but I'd appreciate some experiences and comments of users that have upgraded keeping all their programs and configurations without the hazzle of reinstalling everything from the scratch - if that's possible at all.

Wolfgang

by Kerry on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:I also don't see win10 as an improvement either and will keep my win7 ultimate installation as long as possible as said above. I don't know yet if  the upcoming CaptureOne 20 I just preordered will go the same route as DxO photolab 3 not supporting win7 anymore. In this case, I might be forced to rethink my decision in the long run, unfortunately. So just in case, I'm interested to know, if anybody has successfully migrated from win7 to win10 without losing all your stuff and the need of reinstalling and re-licensing numerous programs, plug-ins etc ? Apart from my numerous network and special home server configurations, I'm especially concerned regarding my Adobe stand alone products such as PS CS6 and LR 4 though E.J. had reported a successful reinstallation of CS6 some time ago. But I want to make sure not to be locked out from PS and forced into the subscription model after all. Anyway, I don't know if the MS media creation tool is a reliable option for migrating the programs here ? I also came across the "zinstall" program which is pretty expensive, though, but apparently got good reviews. Anybody has used it ? I know that a clean installation probably would be the best option whenever I need to bite the bullet to upgrade to win 10 but I'd appreciate some experiences and comments of users that have upgraded keeping all their programs and configurations without the hazzle of reinstalling everything from the scratch - if that's possible at all.

Wolfgang
Earlier this year I did exactly what you describe--updated my computer from Win 7 (Pro) to Win 10 (Pro).  I still use PS CS6 and it (and all the rest of the imaging software I use) made it through the transition intact.

by WJaekel on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:35 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Kerry wrote:
WJaekel wrote:I also don't see win10 as an improvement either and will keep my win7 ultimate installation as long as possible as said above. I don't know yet if  the upcoming CaptureOne 20 I just preordered will go the same route as DxO photolab 3 not supporting win7 anymore. In this case, I might be forced to rethink my decision in the long run, unfortunately. So just in case, I'm interested to know, if anybody has successfully migrated from win7 to win10 without losing all your stuff and the need of reinstalling and re-licensing numerous programs, plug-ins etc ? Apart from my numerous network and special home server configurations, I'm especially concerned regarding my Adobe stand alone products such as PS CS6 and LR 4 though E.J. had reported a successful reinstallation of CS6 some time ago. But I want to make sure not to be locked out from PS and forced into the subscription model after all. Anyway, I don't know if the MS media creation tool is a reliable option for migrating the programs here ? I also came across the "zinstall" program which is pretty expensive, though, but apparently got good reviews. Anybody has used it ? I know that a clean installation probably would be the best option whenever I need to bite the bullet to upgrade to win 10 but I'd appreciate some experiences and comments of users that have upgraded keeping all their programs and configurations without the hazzle of reinstalling everything from the scratch - if that's possible at all.

Wolfgang
Earlier this year I did exactly what you describe--updated my computer from Win 7 (Pro) to Win 10 (Pro).  I still use PS CS6 and it (and all the rest of the imaging software I use) made it through the transition intact.
Thank you, Kerry. So did you just use the MS Media Creation tool for the transition or any other program such as Zinstall to keep your software intact and working after the upgrade without the need of the reinstallation and/or re-licensing ?

Wolfgang

by Kerry on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:29 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Honestly, I can't remember exactly how this worked with CS6. I can tell you that I didn't use any third party program to assist with the upgrade. I definitely did NOT reinstall Photoshop following the OS update...but I can't remember if I had to reactivate it...as best I can recall, I didn't. And I definitely didn't have to reinstall any other programs; basically, the overlay was a seamless process, other than having to fiddle with some of the Win 10's customizable settings after the installation.

12 posts |