Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:52 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I bought a new xps laptop last fall.  Finally got started loading and using last spring.  Since then it has locked up twice.  The problem is you cannot start it.  Talked to Dell and was going to send it.  One of the questions was if I was comfortable taking it apart.  I took it to a local repair guy.  He took the back off and disconnected and reconnected the battery after 5 minutes.  Said he did another one the day before.  Ran like a champ for two months then locked up again.  I took the back off disconnected and reconnected the battery like he did and it runs like a champ again.  This is nuts.  Has anyone had a similar experience or thoughts? 

by Mike in O on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:34 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Get a new battery or send it back...life is too short.

by signgrap on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:00 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I'm not sure it's a battery issue as it sounds like it might need a cold (no power at all) re-boot to fix the problem.
I'd ask Dell if this is a known issue and if so have them fix it.
Why - in a very small sample i.e. one repair shop; to have the same problem would indicate to me that it's a problem that Dell should be already aware of.
Dick Ludwig

by DChan on Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:40 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:I'm not sure it's a battery issue as it sounds like it might need a cold (no power at all) re-boot to fix the problem.
I'd ask Dell if this is a known issue and if so have them fix it.
Why - in a very small sample i.e. one repair shop; to have the same problem would indicate to me that it's a problem that Dell should be already aware of.
It could very well be some contact issue. IMO there's not enough sample to suggest that Dell should be aware of the problem or it's a common problem of that particular model of laptop. I don't think there's enough to blame Dell on this either. The guy in that shop said he fixed another one with similar problem the day before? How do we know if he was telling the truth? I think wildflower-nut should have simply sent it back to Dell. As least then we could get an official answer from them :)

I personally have never bought a Dell or even plan to buy a Dell in the foreseeable future.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:57 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I guess I'll send it in.

by flygirl on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
I have had four XPS's over the years, with no problems what so ever. In fact, planning on updating mine now next year, after five years.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Is it an i9 processor model, they did have some thermal shut-down issues with those...

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
i-7.  It seems to me to be a software issue that requires a cold boot to clear.  Hence the unplug battery, wait for residual charge to bleed off, reconnect.  What causes it is another question.  Letting it sit on its own for an hour (cool down) does nothing nor is it running when it seizes. First time I thought it was when it shut down due to low battery. The second failure nixed that idea.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:14 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:i-7.  It seems to me to be a software issue that requires a cold boot to clear.  Hence the unplug battery, wait for residual charge to bleed off, reconnect. 
What I have read, and also had to do on an HP, is to unplug the battery(and power adapter) and then hold down the power button for 15-30 seconds. I saw that on a Dell site, as well. Probably won’t make a difference for you, but you never know.
Here’s one place where it is mentioned:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln129591/system-locks-up-freezes-or-an-error-occurs?lang=en#systemlockup

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:i-7.  It seems to me to be a software issue that requires a cold boot to clear.  Hence the unplug battery, wait for residual charge to bleed off, reconnect. 
What I have read, and also had to do on an HP, is to unplug the battery(and power adapter) and then hold down the power button for 15-30 seconds. I saw that on a Dell site, as well. Probably won’t make a difference for you, but you never know.
Here’s one place where it is mentioned:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln129591/system-locks-up-freezes-or-an-error-occurs?lang=en#systemlockup

Joe

this works but I should not have to disassemble my computer every month to do it.

by calvin1calvin on Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I had a similar issue on an older Dell computer and the tech on the phone had me disassemble it just as you did. After a couple of attempts to correct the problem the tech sent me a new computer and I was told to place the old one in the box and return it in the prepaid box from Dell. This was approximately 2-3 yrs ago, but Dell gave me great customer service. I have an XPS model now and have not had any problems. I would ask them if they would replace the computer.

11 posts |