« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:03 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
For some reason, my ability to save images properly as Tif files in CS6 has been compromised.  I can save them as Tifs and I can see them in Bridge and open them from Bridge just fine, but when I try to pull them up from another program (Topaz Sharpen AI or Topaz Gigapixel AI) the file appears washed out in the index and the program will not open them at all.  Please see images below.

I have circled the "washed out" files.  As you can see, older files saved in TIF are fine.
Error message I receive when I try to open washed out files in Topaz Sharpen AI.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

Last edited by Bill Chambers on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Topaz can't ZIP compressed TIFs it will give you that error. If you ahve saved the files as zip compressed tif, re-neter Photoshop, save them as uncompressed and then Topaz can open them.

Also if the file is over 2GB in CS6, it has to be saved as a PSD.

I don't know what's going on with the washed out thumbnails.

I would go ahead and save your current workspace and then clear the Photoshop preferences file. Then relaunch Photoshop and reload your saved workspace. That often clears up all sorts of weird PS behavior.

by Bill Chambers on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Topaz can't ZIP compressed TIFs it will give you that error.  If you ahve saved the files as zip compressed tif, re-neter Photoshop, save them as uncompressed and then Topaz can open them.

Also if the file is over 2GB in CS6, it has to be saved as a PSD.

I don't know what's going on with the washed out thumbnails.

I would go ahead and save your current workspace and then clear the Photoshop preferences file.  Then relaunch Photoshop and reload your saved workspace.  That often clears up all sorts of weird PS behavior.
Thanks E.J.  I may have been misleading.  The Tif file washes out even if I don't use Topaz.  I save the Tif as uncompressed.  I will do as you suggest re: saving workspace and clearing my preferences.  Hopefully, that will work.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:16 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I did reset the PS Preferences but unfortunately, that did not fix the issue.

I do have an answer to this issue, however. I ran a series of images thru ACR and Capture One 12 Pro and then saved them (with no additional processing) as a tif = no problems. Ran the images thru Topaz DeNoise and saved them as tif = no problems. Then processed them with basic processing using curves and saved as tif = no problems. Then processed using Tony Kuyper's Luminosity Masks and saved as tif = PROBLEM. I did this a couple of times and each time the same problem exists. I contacted Tony Kuyper via email and he supplied me with an answer and the fix. His reply - "I think what's causing your problem might be the "Lum Lock" and "Rapid Mask" channels that the Basic V6 panel puts on the Channels panel. These are part of the process for making the different luminosity masks so quickly. If you save your image with those alpha channels still present, you get the tif preview as viewed through the mask. Not sure why that happens, but it does."

"You need to clean these alpha channels off the Channels panel before saving as a tif. To do that, click the "X" button in the upper right corner of the Basic V6 panel."
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:08 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wow, glad you figured that out - that is very bizarre.

by Royce Howland on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:31 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Many applications can't properly display TIFF files that contain alpha channels. The solution is as Tony recommended -- save a version of the file with all alpha channels removed from the Channels panel.
Royce Howland

6 posts |