All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Thought some of you would find this interesting...

Puget systems just published a three year study of the reliability of the various components in the computers they build.   The results are somewhat surprising in that WD HD's are as relaible as CPUs (note their systems cool the hard-drives actively and very well), and also somewhat predictable in that SSDs have the best reliability and Motherboards and power supplies are the worst.  If you don't want to read the whole article, scroll towards the bottom to the failure rate bar graph for a quick overview of the findings:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/What-is-the-most-reliable-hardware-in-our-Puget-Systems-workstations-1550/

by Scott B on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:25 pm
Scott B
Forum Contributor
My Puget system turns 9 this month. I did have a power system failure and I have replaced the GPU but not because of failure. I also added an SSD. The old SATA speed is an issue I think I am getting about 1/2 the speed from my SSD because of that limitation and the limit of 16 ram is an issue and when it becomes a big enough issue I will buy from Puget again.

2 posts |