Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:50 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
i have a 4tb Western digital portable external hard drive that I use on my windows 10 laptop and desktop. When I plug it into the USB port, the PC does not recognize it. Windows explorer is trying to determine what it is. 

I do not mind reformatting it, but since I cannot get any PC to recognize it, what can I do to get around this problem? 

Joe 
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It means that more than likely, the control electronics in the disk are fried or possibly the disk went bad but it's usually the control electronics. HD's give off an immense amount of heat and the mass market external drives do not dissipate that heat which is why I advocate using a thrid party fanned (actively cooled) housing and then just buying a bare drive to put in it. This is a drastically higher reliability solution as the vast majority of failures of the "normal" external drives fail due to heat over time.

by DChan on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:54 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Perhaps the best thing to do with those portable external harddrive is simply to use them for backup, data storage, and don't run anything from it.

by photoman4343 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:25 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the info EJ. DChan, I used the WD external as a backup only. Everything on it is on another drive too.

I do think the idea of a case with a fan that will accept a drive is what most of us should use. When I have looked for a case, I never felt comfortable with the tech info presented to know what case to buy and what drive to put in it. If anyone has any recommendations I would welcome them.

Joe
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This one works well. As for HD, just make sure it's a 7200RPM drive in whatever capacity you need from one of the reputable manufacturers. Also, never ever move a hard drive or bump into it or anything while it is on and spinning.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681718224 ... 6817182247

by Alan Melle on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:46 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Another vote for the Rosewill E.J. recommended. I have four of these for external and off-site backup and they work very well.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by photoman4343 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ and Alan. I will get the Rosewill case you have recommended. To make sure I get the right model hard drive, am I right to assume it is an internal hard drive, 7200RPM? I am not sure if it should be NAS or not NAS.

At micro center, here is one or two I was considering getting:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/603 ... hard-drive

https://www.microcenter.com/product/488 ... hard-drive

Any thoughts about hride specs besides 7200 RPM are welcomed

Joe
Joe Smith

by Woodswalker on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:02 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
I've been able to salvage at least one external hard drive by buying a new enclosure for $35 which houses the circuitry, ports etc. It's not difficult to do this yourself. Once my old hard drive was in the new enclosure it appeared on my screen again and I'm still using it. I have a shop called Memory Express which had the goods and made the suggestion in the first place.

8 posts |