« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
SanDisk now offers a fast 1 terrabyte sd card:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/extremepro-sd-uhs-i

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/sandisk-unleash-monster-1tb-sd-memory-card

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Nice capacity but certainly not fast by today's UHS-2 standards. This card uses the older and outdated UHS-1 standard.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:51 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Nice capacity but certainly not fast by today's UHS-2 standards.  This card uses the older and outdated UHS-1 standard.
Still amazing that they can make sd and micro sd cards of 1TB capacity:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extremepro-microsd

You can bet it won’t be long until they produce faster hi capacity cards.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yup, a UHS II 1GB SD card would become my travel backup solution.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:26 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

It would be nice for making videos, but I'd sure hate to lose that much video/photos if it stopped working.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Brian Stirling on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Jeff Colburn wrote:Hi,

It would be nice for making videos, but I'd sure hate to lose that much video/photos if it stopped working.

Have Fun,
Jeff
That's been the constant argument for a long time but as cameras have evolved with higher MP's and 4K60 video you can never have too much storage.  I remember thinking 4GB was insane for a CF card and many arguing you should use four 1GB cards instead.

Other than maybe once about 15 years ago I don't think I've ever lost and images or video on a CF or SD card and so long as you treat the cards carefully I don't see failure as a likely outcome.  The one thing that would be nice is a dual card arrangement in the camera that would write the files to two cards at the same time and in the same format, RAW for example.  That way you go with the biggest cards you can use and afford and your'e protected by the redundancy.  One other thing about the larger cards ... you don't have to pull them from the camera as often and that can limit the chance of losing the card or damaging the card slot or card itself.  You don't want to be outside in crummy weather only to have the card flick out of the camera and into a stream or sewage drain never to be seen again.  Swapping cards in the field can turn a low probability of lost images into a higher probably of lost images.

Brian

by Neilyb on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:24 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yup, a UHS II 1GB SD card would become my travel backup solution.
Yes, that would be enough to just leave in the second slot for an entire wildlife trip. Swapping out smaller cards to keep safe elsewhere. Which is why I insist on 2 slots. 

7 posts |