Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The FAA has banned some recalled MacBook Pro’s from checked and carry on baggage:

https://petapixel.com/2019/08/14/faa-bans-some-15-inch-macbook-pros-from-flights-due-to-battery-recall/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Great, so how are they (FAA and TSA and Airlines) supposed to be able to tell which 15" MBP is affected and which is not - for sure some officials are going to apply that to all MBPs. And furthermore, how are they supposed to tell whether or not the recall service has been performed or not? I'm all for aviation safety but this seems totally unenforceable unless you ban all 15" MBPs.

by Mike in O on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Great, so how are they (FAA and TSA and Airlines) supposed to be able to tell which 15" MBP is affected and which is not - for sure some officials are going to apply that to all MBPs.  And furthermore, how are they supposed to tell whether or not the recall service has been performed or not?  I'm all for aviation safety but this seems totally unenforceable unless you ban all 15" MBPs.

Just use a Windows machine..no problem.

by Brian K. on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
Mike in O wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Great, so how are they (FAA and TSA and Airlines) supposed to be able to tell which 15" MBP is affected and which is not - for sure some officials are going to apply that to all MBPs.  And furthermore, how are they supposed to tell whether or not the recall service has been performed or not?  I'm all for aviation safety but this seems totally unenforceable unless you ban all 15" MBPs.

Just use a Windows machine..no problem.
No thank you. You can keep your WinDoze machine. :)
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I would be inclined to put a sticker over the Apple on the cover
Rocky Sharwell

by DOglesby on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:40 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Yeah. We need to be proactive or the FAA will screw us. I'm flying tomorrow. I went to the recall page the article linked to and input my serial number. I'm not affected. I did a screen capture and it's on my phone. If I get hassled I'll show them my SN and the picture.
Cheers,
Doug

by DOglesby on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:58 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
I flew this morning with my 15" MacBook Pro and they didn't say a word. TSA Pre though so I didn't have to remove it from my backpack.
Cheers,
Doug

by Ed1946 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:28 am
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
I didn't want to travel by air with my MacBook Pro as I have too much invested in software, etc and hassle so 6 months ago I added an iPad Pro and a wireless external drive (WD Passport) and extra memory cards.  Has worked out well on my last trip to France.  So until they find a problem with iPad Pros I won't have to change over any Widows system.  There always ways around a problem. Its just finding the least painless.  I do too many other things to change systems and software.   With all the rules being created it seems enforcement is problematic. Best to have knowledge and facts when it comes to photo and computer gear.

8 posts |