Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Mark Walrod on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:34 pm
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
I've  researched external storage/backup solutions and will likely purchase a Synology DiskStation DS1019+ with 5 disk enclosure. I'll go with minimum 4TB/ea drives and will configure it as raid 5.

Now I'm trying to decide which hard drives to purchase...Segate Ironwolf, WD Red/Red Pro or?  Any suggestions on best hard drives would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Any enterprise class HD will be fine - personally I would stick with 7200RPM drives. Just to be sure, you may already know this, NAS is not appropriate for primary image storage, it's too slow. It is more of a mass backup solution that gives you access to your images anywhere in the world as long as you can get on the internet. Of course if you go to 10Gb ethernet then it works well as primary storage but the standard 1Gb ethernet solutions are an outstanding mass backup solution that makes it easy to gain access to your stuff anywhere.

As an example, my setup is as follows, I have a 12TB internal drive in my system for image storage, this then gets backed up to an attached backup RAID array, and two NAS stations kind of like what you are specifying. That way i have a fast working drive for my local needs, an external RAID box that I can put in a fire safe, and the always on NAS RAID stations. Synology allows you to log onto those from any Internet browser anywhere, or from your mobile devices, etc.

by Mark Walrod on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:34 pm
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J. I'm looking at this as a backup solution. You mentioned to me before the OWC raid solutions, but their software doesn't work with PC's. What are you using for your backup RAID array?
The Synology NAS may be a bit of overkill for me...while the remote access to images would be nice to have, not sure I would use that feature that often.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mark Walrod wrote:Thanks, E.J. I'm looking at this as a backup solution.  You mentioned to me before the OWC raid solutions, but their software doesn't work with PC's. What are you using for your backup RAID array?
The Synology NAS may be a bit of overkill for me...while the remote access to images would be nice to have, not sure I would use that feature that often.
I still use Microsoft's SyncToy but a better, newer, and more automated solution would be GoodSync

by Mark Walrod on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:25 pm
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
Thanks again, E.J.

by mlgray12 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Mark Walrod wrote:Thanks, E.J. I'm looking at this as a backup solution.  You mentioned to me before the OWC raid solutions, but their software doesn't work with PC's. What are you using for your backup RAID array?
I still use Microsoft's SyncToy but a better, newer, and more automated solution would be GoodSync
EJ - I am about to redo my backup using Goodsync - I have an older DS1515+ (5 drives) Synology - I understand the difference (I think) between sync and backup and I think backup would do but sync has more possibilities - any drawbacks to sync over just backup
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The biggest drawback to Sync is that if a file get's corrupt the corrupt file will sync and you will lose it. I prefer incremental backups for this reason but your backup disk will fill faster.

by mlgray12 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:59 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
E.J. Peiker wrote:The biggest drawback to Sync is that if a file get's corrupt the corrupt file will sync and you will lose it.  I prefer incremental backups for this reason but your backup disk will fill faster.
Thanks - I will probably do back-ups - I really see no real need at moment or for the foreseeable future for any of the advantages sync offers
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

8 posts |