Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:02 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I lost all adjustments to my RAW files prior to July 2018. After that date the adjustment are OK.

To be exact, the adjustment files are where they belong, they just are not connected to the RAW files they are meant to adjust. Is there a way to reconnect them. Please advise.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If there is an XMP file with exactly the same name and in the same folder as the file they should still be there.

But, if you opened that folder in Capture One after having originally adjusting the images in Photoshop ACR or LR and you didn't do a LR to C1 import, they may still be there but overwritten by Capture One XMP files with your C1 default adjustments and your Adobe adjustments will be lost.

by Cindy Marple on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I've had that happen when I moved an image file in to a different folder from the one it was in when I processed it originally. I fixed it by moving the appropriate files from the original location's "Capture One" sub-folder to the new location's sub-folder. If I remember I had to move all 4 files- under "proxies", "thumbnails", and "Settings".
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Jens Peermann on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:23 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks Cindy and E.J. This is a real mystery.
The image and xmp files have not been moved; they're in the same location they've been in for years.
I tried different settings for the xmp file reading preferences, but no combination brings back the adjustments.
Most xmp files have the same save date - June 22, 2019 - except for those images that I added since (and which work OK). Most images with the June 22, 2019 save date don't work OK, but some do (that's what really puzzles me). And those that don't work now have been OK as recent as last Sunday.
Tracing back my activities, it seems that the problem started after I upgraded to C1 12.1.1.7 last Tuesday, but I can't be sure because I didn't pay close attention to that. Out of curiosity I downgraded to the previous version - 12.0.4.28 - without any luck.

The whole thing is not a serious disaster because I have Master Tiffs with the applied adjustments, of all images. But - ironically - I found out about this while looking into the possibility to do away with those Tiff Masters to free up storage capacity. I'm having second thoughts about that now.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jens Peermann wrote:Thanks Cindy and E.J. This is a real mystery.
The image and xmp files have not been moved; they're in the same location they've been in for years.
I tried different settings for the xmp file reading preferences, but no combination brings back the adjustments.
Most xmp files have the same save date - June 22, 2019 - except for those images that I added since (and which work OK). Most images with the June 22, 2019 save date don't work OK, but some do (that's what really puzzles me). And those that don't work now have been OK as recent as last Sunday.
Tracing back my activities, it seems that the problem started after I upgraded to C1 12.1.1.7 last Tuesday, but I can't be sure because I didn't pay close attention to that. Out of curiosity I downgraded to the previous version - 12.0.4.28 - without any luck.

The whole thing is not a serious disaster because I have Master Tiffs with the applied adjustments, of all images. But - ironically - I found out about this while looking into the possibility to do away with those Tiff Masters to free up storage capacity. I'm having second thoughts about that now.
It sounds like in your process of doing things you corrupted your catalogue somehow.  If you are running C1 in catalogue mode you absolutely must do any and all moving, deleting, etc in Capture One.  It's the same for Lightroom.

by Jens Peermann on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:48 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I'm apparently not the only one experiencing this. On the Capture One forum another user had the same happening after upgrading to 12.1.1.7. He suspects overwriting of adjustment files by this update. I think that's a possibility after taking a more than one year old copy of that catalog from Time Machine and opening it in12.1.1.7. It lost adjustments right away. Another copy from Time Machine opened in 12.0.3.28 stayed intact.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jens Peermann wrote:I'm apparently not the only one experiencing this. On the Capture One forum another user had the same happening after upgrading to 12.1.1.7. He suspects overwriting of adjustment files by this update. I think that's a possibility after taking a more than one year old copy of that catalog from Time Machine and opening it in12.1.1.7. It lost adjustments right away. Another copy from Time Machine opened in 12.0.3.28 stayed intact.
Interesting.  I have never trusted the catalog database model of keeping track of images and their adjustments which is why I use Sessions in only in C1P and used to use Bridge, not LR.  

by Jens Peermann on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Interesting.  I have never trusted the catalog database model of keeping track of images and their adjustments which is why I use Sessions in only in C1P and used to use Bridge, not LR.  
Isn't embedding the adjustments in the image file an option? Similar to the metedata.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I don't do that either. I run in sessions using the standard xmp sidecar files.

by Jens Peermann on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:46 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Maybe I should be looking into that sessions thing. Is it safer as far as preserving the adjustments is concerned?

by signgrap on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:18 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J. Peiker wrote:I don't do that either.  I run in sessions using the standard xmp sidecar files.
I use the standard xmp sidecar files in the Catalog. 
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:40 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jens Peermann wrote:Maybe I should be looking into that sessions thing. Is it safer as far as preserving the adjustments is concerned?
Yes because there is no database that can get corrupted.  basically if there is a Sidecar file with the same filename it is used.  There's nothing needed to link them.  it's basically the same concept as using Bridge instead of Lightroom for your RAW conversions only better because you can have a different session for every shoot, or every location or every date or for every whatever you chose.  or you can just have one large untitled session which includes all photos.  There is no catalog to get corrupted.  If you have a good logical file system that you use for storing your photos, sessions is great.  Also if your computer crashes, there is no database that gets corrupted and needs recovery.  But if your photo life prior to C1 is LR and you never used computer in the time of logical file systems, or you aren't a very organized person, than catalogs might be better for you but when something goes wrong in a catalog and if you have backed up after something went wrong, you face a herculean task to get everything back to normal.  I fundamentally hate and do not trust database/catalog systems over the long haul, they are just too frail for me.

by Jens Peermann on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:21 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: Yes because there is no database that can get corrupted.  basically if there is a Sidecar file with the same filename it is used.  There's nothing needed to link them.  it's basically the same concept as using Bridge instead of Lightroom for your RAW conversions only better because you can have a different session for every shoot, or every location or every date or for every whatever you chose.  or you can just have one large untitled session which includes all photos.  There is no catalog to get corrupted.  If you have a good logical file system that you use for storing your photos, sessions is great.  Also if your computer crashes, there is no database that gets corrupted and needs recovery.  But if your photo life prior to C1 is LR and you never used computer in the time of logical file systems, or you aren't a very organized person, than catalogs might be better for you but when something goes wrong in a catalog and if you have backed up after something went wrong, you face a herculean task to get everything back to normal.  I fundamentally hate and do not trust database/catalog systems over the long haul, they are just too frail for me.
Is it possible to convert existing cataloged assets to a sessions based system? Or am I stuck with the catalog for everything I have accumulated so far?

by signgrap on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Jens, I've been following this thread off an on, so I might have missed something, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe you said that you have XMP sidecar files for all the problem images - located adjacent to the image within the same folder. If that is the case why not throw out (delete) the old catalog by removing it from within C1 and build a new one by re-importing all your images. If the sidecar files are intact/undamaged the catalog should be rebuilt without issue. When I first started using C1, I imported images from LR generated folders along with all the XMP sidecar files with all the adjustments and ratings. Didn't like the way some of the images looked in C1, so I deleted the catalog. Then I re-imported all the images with just the ratings/selections no adjustments. This worked well as I prefered to do all new adjustments in C1. The tools in C1 worked differently and my style and skill changed over time as I learned more. Particularly as C1 gets more out of an image then LR does when processing Sony images. 
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Dick's idea is a good one!

To your question, you can create a session and then populate that session with photos at anytime.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:47 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
signgrap wrote:Jens, I've been following this thread off an on, so I might have missed something, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe you said that you have XMP sidecar files for all the problem images - located adjacent to the image within the same folder. If that is the case why not throw out (delete) the old catalog by removing it from within C1 and build a new one by re-importing all your images. If the sidecar files are intact/undamaged the catalog should be rebuilt without issue. When I first started using C1, I imported images from LR generated folders along with all the XMP sidecar files with all the adjustments and ratings. Didn't like the way some of the images looked in C1, so I deleted the catalog. Then I re-imported all the images with just the ratings/selections no adjustments. This worked well as I prefered to do all new adjustments in C1. The tools in C1 worked differently and my style and skill changed over time as I learned more. Particularly as C1 gets more out of an image then LR does when processing Sony images. 
I would say that C1 gets more out of an image from any camera than LR/ACR does in hands that are equally skilled at both programs.  I always find it interesting and funny in a sad way when some internet pundit decides to try C1 and after a few hours concludes that they give you the same IQ.  Here you have somebody with hundreds and probably thousands of hours in LR comparing images they processed in LR to the same image they processed in C1 after a few hours of experience and they conclude that they are able to get the same IQ from both programs...

by signgrap on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
E.J. the reason I say Sony files is that I have C1 Sony Pro, so Sony file conversion is my only experience I have in C1. One of these days when C1 is on sale at a good price I may get the full Pro version but since I'm only using a Sony camera these days I decided to save money at the expense of my older Canon files from before the release  of the first Sony a7R.
Dick Ludwig

17 posts |