All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by joseph motto on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:52 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
I am planning to purchase the BenQ @ SW2700PT monitor to replace my old HP2465 and was reading some older posts from several months ago. In one Royce said:

"Fortunately your BenQ monitor has its own high resolution (14-bit) LUT built into it. Once you're able to run the PaletteMaster software, you can calibrate the BenQ directly within its own hardware LUT, bypassing the 8-bit video card LUT. However you still may not be able to accurately calibrate both monitors if the video card has only a single LUT, because loading that LUT with calibration data for the HP monitor would impact the colour data being output to the BenQ as well, which you wouldn't want."

Do I understand that this monitor comes with its own calibration hardware and software? If yes, does this obviate the need for outside calibration systems such as X-Rite, Spyder, etc., or does one need them in addition to the Palette Master?
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
joseph motto wrote:I am planning to purchase the BenQ @ SW2700PT monitor to replace my old HP2465 and was reading some older posts from several months ago. In one Royce said:

"Fortunately your BenQ monitor has its own high resolution (14-bit) LUT built into it. Once you're able to run the PaletteMaster software, you can calibrate the BenQ directly within its own hardware LUT, bypassing the 8-bit video card LUT. However you still may not be able to accurately calibrate both monitors if the video card has only a single LUT, because loading that LUT with calibration data for the HP monitor would impact the colour data being output to the BenQ as well, which you wouldn't want."

Do I understand that this monitor comes with its own calibration hardware and software? If yes, does this obviate the need for outside calibration systems such as X-Rite, Spyder, etc., or does one need them in addition to the Palette Master?
You would not need or want use an other calibration package in addition to what the BenQ monitor ships with.

by DChan on Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:01 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
joseph motto wrote:[snip]
Do I understand that this monitor comes with its own calibration hardware and software? [snip]
Software only. No colorimeter.

by Royce Howland on Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:22 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
The BenQ PaletteMaster software is a free download. As DChan says, there is no colorimeter shipped with the monitor. PaletteMaster supports the usual devices; I'd recommend the X-Rite i1 Display Pro if you don't have a newer device. Any colorimeter from the era of the HP2465 monitor might well be too dated to work well (or at all) with this new monitor.
Royce Howland

by Mike in O on Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:22 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Anyone can get a lemon but I recently bought a BenQ 27" 4k...worked for 3 hours, lucky I bought from Amazon, so easy to return.  I just bought a spyder elite, calibration on my old Dell was a couple of minutes.  I think I am in the market for a new monitor.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Oh, sorry, I didn't answer that properly. The point I was trying to make is to use their software for the calibration and not do it with their software and another software package resulting in a double calibration.

by joseph motto on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:39 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
I purchased the i1 Display Pro calibrator. I set up the BenQ with the PME device attached. When I plug in the calibrator I get the  X-rite menu but no BenQ Palette software. The online recommendation for using it talks about the need to plug in the monitor's USB but I don't follow: is there a need to run another connection from the monitor to the computer USB to USB in order to use the BenQ Palette software? I see no such cables supplied to do it. So I thought I would just do the X-Rite calibration but it can't seem to find the calibrator. 
Any suggestions?
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
joseph motto wrote:I purchased the i1 Display Pro calibrator. I set up the BenQ with the PME device attached. When I plug in the calibrator I get the  X-rite menu but no BenQ Palette software. The online recommendation for using it talks about the need to plug in the monitor's USB but I don't follow: is there a need to run another connection from the monitor to the computer USB to USB in order to use the BenQ Palette software? I see no such cables supplied to do it. So I thought I would just do the X-Rite calibration but it can't seem to find the calibrator. 
Any suggestions?
Yes, the monitor must be connected to the computer via a USB connection.  Without that there is no way for the calibration software to upload the calibration data to the monitor.  This is different from the calibration that you have done on previous monitors where a software layer between the computer and the monitor modified the color data for your display.  With your new monitor, the calibration data is actually uploaded to the monitor eliminating that translation layer and thereby also reducing the amount of stuff your computer has to do in the background.  That is why you need a USB connection between monitor and computer.  Hope that helps.

by joseph motto on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:09 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Helps a lot. I am up and running. Thank you.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

9 posts |