« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by rene on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:05 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
I am considering above but not sure whether it is a good option while travelling for image storage. I do not do any post image processing. I merely use the device to look at the images and delete the ones that do not make the cut.. It is my understanding that there is NO way to download images to an external hard drive, so that would mean an external hard drive with SD card slot? Any alternatives?
Many thanks
Rene

by Larry Shuman on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:03 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
When I travel I use a laptop and download directly to a passport external hard drive using Nikon Transfer 2. After the download I copy the picture folder to a second passport hard drive. When I am back at my desktop I copy all the picture folders onto that system. I've done this for years and never had a problem.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You might want to look at this for storage:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ix ... Id=5061601

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by enriqueaguirre on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:52 pm
enriqueaguirre
Forum Contributor
rene wrote:I am considering above but not sure whether it is a good option while travelling for image storage. I do not do any post image processing. I merely use the device to look at the images and delete the ones that do not make the cut.. It is my understanding that there is NO way to download images to an external hard drive, so that would mean an external hard drive with SD card slot? Any alternatives?
Many thanks
Rene

I use my iPhone and iPad as storage/backup while traveling. I stopped traveling with a laptop in 2008 and just used and Epson P4000. By 2014 I missed having mobile access to my photos and decided to try out using the iPhone/iPad and did a field test. The requirements of the test were that I could only use devices that I was already taking with me anyway, that I could not lose capacity or speed, and that any additional cables/card readers would have to fit in the 'wing' pockets of my LowePro Vertex 200/300. The test worked but my device didn't have quite enough storage for a multi week trip so now I get the phone with the largest storage available. 

My workflow is as follows:

- with the Apple SD to lightning dongle I copy Nikon D500 files to the phone and iPad, for the Nikon D5 CF cards I use the Apple camera connection kit (lightning to USB with an additional lightning port for power) to connect a USB card reader to the iPhone and iPad and import them in to the Apple's Photos app

- I use the 'camera uploads' option in the DropBox app to pull the photos from the iPhone's camera roll to the cloud when connected to WiFi or good cell service (unlimited plan FTW!). This works better in places with good infrastructure than in remote areas obviously.

At this point I have 4 copies of my files: one making its way to the cloud via Dropbox (preferred), one on the phone (master), one on the iPad (safety) and one on the card (safety)

- I use the Apple Photos app to review and then I will use Adobe Lightroom Mobile if I need to edit while I'm in the field. I also keep all my work synced between all my Lightroom devices so I have access to my full archive while on the iPhone/iPad should I get a request while traveling.

- When I get home I make a final copy of the photos to my desktop. I can do this a few ways: from dropbox if it finished the cloud push (this is my preferred option as I keep the Dropbox hot folder linked to my master repository so it would just be a question of pointing Lightroom to the latest folder), from the SD/CF cards if I didn't repurpose, or downloading the iPhone or iPad camera roll that now contains all the trip photos to my desktop machine (iMac 27" retina). I keep a smart folder in Photos that looks out for NEF files and I then save those to the master repository if needed (this is my worst case scenario, mostly because of the additional steps).

The new phone and iPad OS releasing in the fall will be able to connect to external drives, this should open up the possibility of making an extra copy to a SSD/HD

On most US trips the Dropbox cloud sync from my iPhone has finished by the time I get home and I don't need to deal with the cards or the device copies. The Dropbox files hit the cloud and propagate to my desktop, master collection, LR, and my local backups. It's all happening in the background and requires almost no intervention. In worst-case-scenario I still have the iPhone/iPad/Cards copies.

Notes:
- If you know you won't need to reuse your cards you can do without the iPad and just use the iPhone. LR mobile works great on my iPhone 7, like blow-your-mind great.
- My iPad is an iPad mini4, a brand new Pro would be great and the pencil might be fun to use in LR but I like the trimmed down set up using the smallest device possible... when I upgrade the iPhone next I might consider a max version and if it is large enough for decent book reading I might just ditch the iPad altogether
- the SD dongle is much more user friendly than the UBS>CF/XQD dongle that requires power
- you will be limited only by the storage of your iPhone, your data plan, and your charging capabilities (get the largest phone you can, keep your unlimited plan, and plan your charging schedule if you don't have 24/7 access to good power)
- this set up has worked, so far, in Iceland, Canada, UE (UK, Spain, Portugal), and US. If I were planning a trip to an area with **** WiFi/cell service I would make sure to not reuse cards as an extra precaution.

Below is a photo of the iPad rig.
Enrique Aguirre
www.enriqueaguirre.com

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:43 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Really nice images on your website, Enrique.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by enriqueaguirre on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 pm
enriqueaguirre
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Really nice images on your website, Enrique.

Joe

Thank you Joe!
Enrique Aguirre
www.enriqueaguirre.com

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:33 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a review of the iPad Pro for photographers needs:

https://photographylife.com/reviews/ipad-pro-2018

Joe

7 posts |