fbpixel

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by rene on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:05 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
I am considering above but not sure whether it is a good option while travelling for image storage. I do not do any post image processing. I merely use the device to look at the images and delete the ones that do not make the cut.. It is my understanding that there is NO way to download images to an external hard drive, so that would mean an external hard drive with SD card slot? Any alternatives?
Many thanks
Rene

by Larry Shuman on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:03 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
When I travel I use a laptop and download directly to a passport external hard drive using Nikon Transfer 2. After the download I copy the picture folder to a second passport hard drive. When I am back at my desktop I copy all the picture folders onto that system. I've done this for years and never had a problem.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01817
You might want to look at this for storage:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ixpand-128gb-usb-3-0-lightning-flash-drive/5061601.p?skuId=5061601

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by archfotos on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:11 pm
archfotos
Forum Contributor
If you read macrumors it does look like apple may be opening up communication between iOS devices and external devices, just not yet.  I have a little MacBook Air and when it’s in it’s neoprene case it’s really not that much bigger than the old iPad 9.7” in it’s neoprene case.  Granted you still need an external drive but given the added functionality a laptop brings the size difference is just not that big of deal. IMHO The only benefit an iPad brings is being able to use it during takeoff and or landings, but a laptop will run software where you can start renaming files and imputing keywords on the raw files. 

P.s. I use an internal ssd drive that I put in an enclosure when I get home I remove it from the enclosure and put it in my disk bay for easy transfers to the archival hard drives

4 posts | 

People Who Like This: