Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by Bruce Sherman on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:57 am
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
When the free upgrade to Windows 10 was available a few years ago I must have been asleep. Just a few days ago I received notice from Microsoft that they would stop supporting Windows 7, which I have, early in 2020.

My desktop computer was custom built a few years ago (probably 5 years ago) and I love it. I have never had a single problem with it. It has the following:
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
32 GB of ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 video card
Crucial 220 GB SSD for programs with 72 GB of freespace
Samsung 1TB SSD for data storage with 400 GB of freespace
several free standing HD's for data backup storage

Is installing Windows 10 something I can do? Does my Crucial SSD have enough free space? I would rate myself a 6 or 7 on a scale of 0 to 10 as far as computers are concerned. I did find this on the internet: https://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-to ... right-now/
It seems to be pretty thorough as far as what to do before installing Windows 10.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

Last edited by Bruce Sherman on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You already have Windows 7 or did you mean to ask if Win 10 install is something you can do?  I'm sure that's what you meant ;)
Regardless here's a few things to consider, just because Win 7 isn't supported anymore doesn't mean it stops working and MS will continue to offer any critical security updates (they still do this for XP and Office 2003 !!!).  If your question is about upgrading to Win 10, the answer is almost certainly yes and to raise the confidence level even further, do a thorough cleaning of it by deleting stuff in your downloads folder that you don't need - must people have many many gigabytes of files there that they don't need or can easily re-download.  this consists of programs and updates you've downloaded, many of which are probably long out of date and unused versions.  Also PDF's and other files.  Basically you can not do any damage by deleting anything in the downloads folder as it's primarily a holding pen for programs before they've been installed and then those files aren't used again.  Next, make sure you delete all but the most recent restore point, they often consume tens of gigabytes of storage.  Overall I don't anticipate any major problems based on what you've written.

by Bill Chambers on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:31 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Next, make sure you delete all but the most recent restore point, they often consume tens of gigabytes of storage. 
I'm really glad Bruce asked this question and shared the YouTube video as I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop to Windows 10 also.  My question, however, is for E.J. - Can you tell me how to go about deleting all but the most recent restore points?  Where are they stored?

Many thanks, and have a Happy 4th.

Bill
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by photoman4343 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:18 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Bill, EJ has posted how to remove old Windows Updates. I could not locate the post. Here is what I think he said and is what I do from time to time.

Download the free version of CCleaner. Once it is open, click on Tools, in the left panel of options. Then click on Restore. Highlight the restore points no longer needed and delete them. I do not know where they are stored on your hard drive.

Others may have other ways to do the same thing.
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The way Joe described is how I do it.

by OntPhoto on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:37 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
My 8+ year old Dell computer is a turtle in comparison (especially when it comes to video conversions). Still runs Win 7 but am getting used to Win 10 at work. Just downloaded CCleaner and under Tools / Restore, see that I only have 1 or 2 Restore points. Thought I had more than that. Reading the posts above, I may decide to keep Win 7 for another year or so and upgrade to Win 10 when I buy a new computer, likely another Dell. I have Photoshop CS6, so good to know it will be OK when installed on Win 10.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OntPhoto wrote:My 8+ year old Dell computer is a turtle in comparison (especially when it comes to video conversions).  Still runs Win 7 but am getting used to Win 10 at work. Just downloaded CCleaner and under Tools / Restore, see that I only have 1 or 2 Restore points. Thought I had more than that.  Reading the posts above, I may decide to keep Win 7 for another year or so and upgrade to Win 10 when I buy a new computer, likely another Dell.  I have Photoshop CS6, so good to know it will be OK when installed on Win 10.
That's probably your best bet!

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I try not to change operating systems on a computer. Usually keep a computer for 2 generations of windows (7 to 10) for example and then buy a new computer with the new operating system. It is painful and usually is at least a weeks investment of time but I find it works best for me.

by DChan on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:23 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:I try not to change operating systems on a computer.  Usually keep a computer for 2 generations of windows (7 to 10) for example and then buy a new computer with the new operating system.  It is painful and usually is at least a weeks investment of time but I find it works best for me.
That's why you did not know that it was basically a short, painless exercise upgrading from Windows 7 ( 7 Pro in my case) to Windows 10 Pro for many if not most of us in the world :) 

by OntPhoto on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:20 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
MS will not provide security updates to Windows 7 by mid-January 2020. You can pay for the service though. I am looking to upgrade to Windows 10 and then in a couple years get a new computer.

by OntPhoto on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:58 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Regardless here's a few things to consider, just because Win 7 isn't supported anymore doesn't mean it stops working and MS will continue to offer any critical security updates (they still do this for XP and Office 2003 !!!).  
I see the key word is "critical" security updates may be provided.  I wonder how many "critical" security updates have been issued during the life of Windows 7?  Regular security updates will no longer be provided after January 14, 2020 (about 6 months from now) unless you pay for it.  

I am selecting a new Dell XPS Tower.  Going for Windows 10 Pro.  This new system should last me another 8 to 10+ years. 

Do I need i9?  Current system is i7 from about 8+ years ago. I plan to do video editing and conversions (users of this type of activity seem to be steered toward the i9 but I am guessing they mean for "intense and heavy" video editing and not your average person editing or converting the occasional 1080 or 4k video? 

by DChan on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:...
I am selecting a Dell XPS.  Do I need i9?  I plan to do video editing and conversions (this type of activity seems to be steered toward the i9 but I am guessing they mean for "intense and heavy" video editing and not your average person editing or converting 1080 or 4k video? 
You need a lot of RAM. Get a desktop.

Better, select the parts that you want and build your own machine (or get somebody to put it together for you). That's what most computer heavy users do :-)

by OntPhoto on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:...
I am selecting a Dell XPS.  Do I need i9?  I plan to do video editing and conversions (this type of activity seems to be steered toward the i9 but I am guessing they mean for "intense and heavy" video editing and not your average person editing or converting 1080 or 4k video? 
You need a lot of RAM. Get a desktop.

Better, select the parts that you want and build your own machine (or get somebody to put it together for you). That's what most computer heavy users do :-)
I am getting a Tower.  I would not call myself a heavy user at all.  Photoshop, web browsing and the occasional video editing and conversion.  This is why I am thinking i7.  I don't play any video games (this part stemmed from having under-powered computers as I likely would enjoy the occasional computer game.  Purchased Flight Simulator a long time ago back in the Windows 3 or XP days but never got it to run properly -- it was just slow). 

Computers is just one of those things I leave to someone else.  Dell.  I am mechanically inclined as I used to maintain my own bicycles (building and truing wheels, cleaning free hubs and cones, adjusting derailleurs, etc.) but for some reason I like to leave the building of computers to the experts.  Ready to go when it arrives. 

by OntPhoto on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Good thread on whether to update to Win 10 if you have Win 7

by OntPhoto on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:02 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I may be upgrading sooner than I thought. I am getting these blue screen error messages forcing a PC reboot. IRQL less or equal, Mem Management, a device you installed may be causing...etc. Very likely new PC and Win 10 Pro before end of year.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OntPhoto wrote:I may be upgrading sooner than I thought.  I am getting these blue screen error messages forcing a PC reboot.  IRQL less or equal, Mem Management, a device you installed may be causing...etc.  Very likely new PC and Win 10 Pro before end of year.
Open the box, remove all the memory modules, making sure you are grounded, and then reinstall them in a different order.  Remove all expansion cards, graphics boards, anything plugged into the bus, vacuum out the inside of the computer making sure that any plastic vacuum parts do not touch any parts of the computer.  Reseat all of the cards. Cross your fingers, arms, legs, toes, and anything else you are capable of crossing and restart hoping that solved it.

16 posts |