All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Dan Wolin on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Hi All,

Long story short - a few months ago a drunk driver hit our house and roasted my newly built windows photo desktop - luckily one of my main backup drives was fine so all my photos are intact.  Instead of building a new desktop, I decided to get a new MacBook Pro and try to work with a laptop for the foreseeable future.  My windows backup drives were formatted in the NTFS file format which is not read by Mac.  I reformatted one of my other backup drives to exFat and transferred some photo files over and plugged into my MBPro.  The computer is not recognizing the drive - I know it works since it can read from my work windows machine.  I am likely doing something wrong but not sure what.  

Thanks

Dan
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by goldingd on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:19 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Dan Wolin wrote:Hi All,

Long story short - a few months ago a drunk driver hit our house and roasted my newly built windows photo desktop - luckily one of my main backup drives was fine so all my photos are intact.  Instead of building a new desktop, I decided to get a new MacBook Pro and try to work with a laptop for the foreseeable future.  My windows backup drives were formatted in the NTFS file format which is not read by Mac.  I reformatted one of my other backup drives to exFat and transferred some photo files over and plugged into my MBPro.  The computer is not recognizing the drive - I know it works since it can read from my work windows machine.  I am likely doing something wrong but not sure what.  

Thanks

Dan

Did you create that new exFat partition, when the hard drive was connected to the MACBook?

and just in case: http://www.macyourself.com/2012/03/11/how-to-format-a-drive-for-mac-and-pc-compatibility/

by Dan Wolin on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
I figured out the problem. I re-formatted on my windows machine instead of using file utility on the Mac. I did not realize I had to reformat on the Mac (since I was not seeing it on the Mac after re-formatting on the windows machine). Thanks for getting back so quickly.
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

3 posts |