Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I already posted this on the C1 forum, but think it won't hurt to place it here too, in case there is someone who has experienced this as well and knows a fix.

This morning the masking tool on C1 12.01 started getting very slow when applying the brush. A first stroke is slow, the second one is slower, the third one more slower, and after that it completely stops. Closing Capture One and restarting it will bring up the image I worked on with the layer the mask was created on, but without the mask. That goes for masks created by brush, color selection or the Luma Range. Even a fill mask, covering the whole image, will not be saved.

I updated to version 12.1 without any luck. Everything works fine until I start creating a mask. The every command and tool becomes slow and eventually stops completely. Even selecting a different image in the browser becomes slow and eventually stops.

I have a deadline to deliver images this afternoon and need this fixed immediately.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That means you are out of memory and using the disk as virtual memory.  When's the last time you rebooted?  How much memory do you have available for C1 to run?  What other programs are running simultaneously?  If Photoshop is running simultaneously, go into the preferences and reduce the amount of memory you are allowing it to use.

by Jens Peermann on Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:That means you are out of memory and using the disk as virtual memory.  When's the last time you rebooted?  How much memory do you have available for C1 to run?  What other programs are running simultaneously?  If Photoshop is running simultaneously, go into the preferences and reduce the amount of memory you are allowing it to use.
That was the first thing I looked after. I closed all programs, shut down, rebooted and started C1. Still the same problem. There are 32GB of memory and I never have a problem having up to 60 image files open in PS and batch processing them. So C1 processing a single image should be fine with that amount of memory.

I got some suggestions from the C1 support team but those didn't help either. So I sent them the whole package of logs for C1 and they're checking them out right now.

I also missed the deadline and lost a client. Oh well…

by Jens Peermann on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:27 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Still working on it, corresponding with the Phase One support. Right now it looks to me like the catalog got corrupted and can't save the mask anymore. Older images with a mask in the same catalog don't have that problem, and new catalogs don't have it either. But I want to know what caused it and if it can be repaired, so I keep working on it.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:25 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
No solution yet for the problem, but I found a workaround.

Out of curiosity if this problem will travel with a template made from the corrupted catalog, I created one and made a new catalog from that template. I imported a single image and applied a mask to it. Then I closed the catalog and re-opened it. Voilá, the mask was still there and functional. This means, the problem will not travel with a new template made from the corrupted catalog.

So I imported the corrupted catalog into the new catalog and repeated applying a mask to an image, closing and re-opening the catalog. The mask survived that procedure, too. My catalog is repaired and functioning again.

I still would like to know how this happened in the first place and what to watch out for to prevent this from happening again. I hope to get an answer to this from Phase One support next week.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Perhaps an unexpected shut-down. Also hibernation generally does bad things, I recommend people to set their computers to never hibernate. Sleep is OK, hibernate not so much.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Perhaps an unexpected shut-down.  Also hibernation generally does bad things, I recommend people to set their computers to never hibernate.  Sleep is OK, hibernate not so much.
What is the difference between sleep and hibernate in this context?

It was not caused by a shut down. I could actually see it happening when I drew the mask and it started getting slower and slower.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Sleep keeps everything in memory thereby consuming a small amount of power while hibernate writes a system state to the HD and brings it back from that. Generally if your system wakes up immediately when you hit a key or move the mouse it's in sleep mode. If it takes a few seconds to as much as a half minute it was hibernating.

by Jens Peermann on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Well, Phase One support wasn't able to point the finger at something particular as the cause for this, and since I already got it running properly myself they closed the case. Their best guess was that this might be caused by the catalog being stored on an external drive, which it isn't. It's on the internal drive, only on a different partition than the one the system and all apps are on. I don't think that qualifies as an external drive (I may be wrong there).

E.J.'s theory that the sleep settings are involved sounds more likely to me, since both my macs had issues with that for a long time. It has improved lately when I replaced the HDDs on both with SSDs. The computers wake up instantly, but the displays are still drowsy for a few seconds. Not really something that should cause the masking tool problem.

All things considered, this may be just one of those never solved mysteries of the digital life.

9 posts |