E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
More good news on the update front!

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OK, testing the new Nik with the new Affinity and many of the old issues are still present.  Namely:
- incorrect color preview in Viveza even though the colors in the Loupe are correct
- The ability to add Nik adjustments in a new layer is grayed out and it always adds the adjustment to the background layer.

You can always first do a duplicate layer and then apply the Nik tool of choice to it similar to how you do things in Topaz Studio (which works perfectly with Affinity BTW)

by Richard Ketelle on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:48 am
Richard Ketelle
Forum Contributor
Planning a western trip later this summer and will be taking new Surface Book (yet to arrive and be tested). Thinking of buying Affinity as the low-cost photo review / light edit software for use on the Surface Book while travelling. Price is good right now.

Any suggestions pro or con. Any other low-cost photo screening suggestions. My desktop tools are LR6/CS6/NIK/Topaz but use of all that can wait til I am back at home base.

Thanks

Richard Ketelle   http://www.fandkphoto.com
Richard Ketelle
http://fandkphoto.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
No problems at all but they did just release a 1.7.1 bug fix release.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
JChristina has been running a Life After Adobe series. He just posted his roundup of PS alternatives, he also picks Affinity Photo as the top alternative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0VbtX4zKU

by signgrap on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:50 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J. Peiker wrote:JChristina has been running a Life After Adobe series. He just posted his roundup of PS alternatives, he also picks Affinity Photo as the top alternative:
E.J., Interesting video.  I assume you are using Affinity, have you found any shortcomings?
J Chrisitna uses Affinity differently than us photographers as he is more of a illustrator/artist than pure photographer.
So I'd be interested in your take? I remember a while back in your opinion Affinity still fell short of PS. Is that still the case?
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
signgrap wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:JChristina has been running a Life After Adobe series. He just posted his roundup of PS alternatives, he also picks Affinity Photo as the top alternative:
E.J., Interesting video.  I assume you are using Affinity, have you found any shortcomings?
J Chrisitna uses Affinity differently than us photographers as he is more of a illustrator/artist than pure photographer.
So I'd be interested in your take? I remember a while back in your opinion Affinity still fell short of PS. Is that still the case?
I am using it more and more, trying to get proficient because there's a decent chance I won't be able to reactivate my CS6 license when I transition to my new workstation which is currently being built.  The only real issue is that Viveza doesn't present the right colors in the Viveza plug-in when launched from Affinity.

by Andy Trowbridge on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:23 am
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I am using it more and more, trying to get proficient because there's a decent chance I won't be able to reactivate my CS6 license when I transition to my new workstation which is currently being built.  The only real issue is that Viveza doesn't present the right colors in the Viveza plug-in when launched from Affinity.
E.J.

Off topic but I'm in the process at the moment of looking to get a new workstation built. Would be interested to know the the specs to the machine you are getting built if you don't mind sharing.

Many thanks

Andy
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Andy Trowbridge wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I am using it more and more, trying to get proficient because there's a decent chance I won't be able to reactivate my CS6 license when I transition to my new workstation which is currently being built.  The only real issue is that Viveza doesn't present the right colors in the Viveza plug-in when launched from Affinity.
E.J.

Off topic but I'm in the process at the moment of looking to get a new workstation built. Would be interested to know the the specs to the machine you are getting built if you don't mind sharing.

Many thanks

Andy
Hi Andy, here you go:
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
CPU: Intel Core i9 9920X 3.5GHz Twelve Core w/ 4.5GHz Turbo mode
Ram: Crucial 64GB DDR4-2666 (4x16GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 PCI-E 8GB
Storage:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD  (Primary System Drive)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD  (Internally mirrored backup System Drive and swpadisk)
WD Gold 12TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s  (Primary data Drive) mounted in a iStarUSA 1-Hard Drive Hot Swap Rack - my data is backed up to existing online external RAID stations and two Synology NAS RAID servers
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2 Power Supply
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 3)
Additional Cooling: Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade

by DChan on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
...  The only real issue is that Viveza doesn't present the right colors in the Viveza plug-in when launched from Affinity.
It always does when viewed at 100%.

by signgrap on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:19 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Archfotos, thanks for the informative input. My workflow would be similar, C1 conversion to tiff, so your comments are on point as are E.J's as I suspect his workflow is also similar.
Dick Ludwig

12 posts |