Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by pdschu on Sun May 26, 2019 4:45 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that has only USB 2 connections plus thunderbolt (?1 or 2). My XQD card reader is USB 3 but uploading the larger digital files via the USB 2 is very slow. I want to know if a work around of using the thunderbolt input of the MBP to USB 3 via an adapter would actually give faster uploads. I found this adapter Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA plus USB 3.0 Adapter

https://smile.amazon.com/Kanex-Thunderb ... way&sr=8-3

So would this actually be a significant speed improvement? Not going to buy new MBP just for this.

Thanks for the advice.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 26, 2019 5:52 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I don’t know much about them, but this sounds like it will work with the right reader:

https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/pr ... -products/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _with.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yes, that should give much faster DL speeds unless the card is the speed limiter. What is the speed on your cards?

by Anthony Medici on Sun May 26, 2019 6:42 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
each on Amazon for "Thunderbolt 2 dock". I two old Thunderbolt 2 docks and if I was looking to replace one of mine, I'd pick one from the list provided. One of mine is a Belkin but the exact model I have isn't currently listed on Amazon. My OWC version isn't sold on macsales.com anymore either. Pick something that makes sense that doesn't cost too much.

Thunderbolt 2 hubs will run Thunderbolt gear at Thunderbolt's 10GB/s speed. Thunderbolt 2 gear is 20GB/s.

Those hubs also give you several (up to 4) USB 3.0 ports which is how I hook up the majority of my gear to older Macs rather than actually having a Thunderbolt version. All my card readers are USB 3 version which work on all of my machines that have Thunderbolt. You can daisy chain Thunderbolt devices up to 6 devices as long as each device has 2 thunderbolt ports. Most simple devices don't have 2 ports. An example of a device that does have 2 ports is my thunderbolt 2 external hard drive enclosure. I have several daisy chained together and all my thunderbolt (1, 2 and 3) devices can use them (at up to 20GB/s) by going through one of my hubs.
Tony

by pdschu on Tue May 28, 2019 10:32 am
pdschu
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yes, that should give much faster DL speeds unless the card is the speed limiter.  What is the speed on your cards?

Sony 400 MB/s
I ordered the dock suggested by Tony above so I hope for faster downloads.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yeah you should get dramatically faster DL speeds - not just a little bit, huge difference!

by pdschu on Thu May 30, 2019 3:33 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yeah you should get dramatically faster DL speeds - not just a little bit, huge difference!

I got the Kanex device mentioned above and yes it does make a huge improvement in speed.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by Anthony Medici on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:57 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
I guess it was a matter of whether you wanted to use it during travel or at home. That one was small and cheap but one USB port seemed counter productive to me. The second port, a esata port could be useful if you have the devices to hook up. (I have some old esata enclosures I stopped using once I got some Thunderbolt ones...) To me the < $200 home version with four USB 3.0 ports are the most useful since you can setup a number of drives you can use for backup with it and still have some options to work with.
Tony

by pdschu on Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:53 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
I tried one of the docks found on the search but it came with a USB 3 input cable and the USB outputs did not come from the thunderbolt input at all so I had to move on to the Kanex device.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by Anthony Medici on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:50 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Both of these use thunderbolt to connect to the dock and USB i/o ports. And both allow you to extend the thunderbolt chain by having two ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Thunderbo ... way&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Thunderbo ... way&sr=8-4

Which one did you try that you had problems with?
Tony

by pdschu on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:21 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
Neither one.
It was a much cheaper one that I have now sent back.
The ones you showed above are certainly elegant and would be useful if I used the MBP all the time. But for one job used occasionally to upload images from the XQD card the $75 Kanex device is perfect for me.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

11 posts |