Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by WJaekel on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
In my workflow with CaptureOne 12  I always convert the Raw files into 16 bit Tiffs in Prophoto RGB for my master files, even if the copies need to be converted to a smaller workingspace at the end of the process. In my understanding it is recommended to keep as much of the data and color information as possible in the first step though most current output devices are unable to display all the colors of the Prophoto workspace, of course.

That said, I was playing around with DxO Photolab 2.2 for comparisons with C1 but didn't find the option to convert the Raws into the Prophoto RGB color space. There's just the option to export to 16bit AdobeRGB Tiffs (or any custom settings whatever this means).  From what I read, DxO uses Adobe RGB as its internal working color space so that a conversion to ProphotoRGB in fact would not make sense and for that reason obviously is not offered in the export dialogue ?

I'm familiar with CaptureOne but not so much with DxO to date. That's why I'm wondering if the Raw files actually cannot be converted to Prophoto RGB by using DxO ?

Thank you in advance for your comments

Wolfgang

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:10 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:In my workflow with CaptureOne 12  I always convert the Raw files into 16 bit Tiffs in Prophoto RGB for my master files, even if the copies need to be converted to a smaller workingspace at the end of the process. In my understanding it is recommended to keep as much of the data and color information as possible in the first step though most current output devices are unable to display all the colors of the Prophoto workspace, of course.

That said, I was playing around with DxO Photolab 2.2 for comparisons with C1 but didn't find the option to convert the Raws into the Prophoto RGB color space. There's just the option to export to 16bit AdobeRGB Tiffs (or any custom settings whatever this means).  From what I read, DxO uses Adobe RGB as its internal working color space so that a conversion to ProphotoRGB in fact would not make sense and for that reason obviously is not offered in the export dialogue ?

I'm familiar with CaptureOne but not so much with DxO to date. That's why I'm wondering if the Raw files actually cannot be converted to Prophoto RGB by using DxO ?

Thank you in advance for your comments

Wolfgang
ProphotoRGB now goes by the name ROMM RGB. Look for that.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I believe this may lend some insight:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/in ... c=128264.0

3 posts |