All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 31 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Just go to the Preferences item in the pull down menus and make sure GPU is highlighted and set the GPU memory usage to high - it is set to medium by default. It's under File > Preferences

by Bill Chambers on Fri May 31, 2019 1:04 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Just go to the Preferences item in the pull down menus and make sure GPU is highlighted and set the GPU memory usage to high - it is set to medium by default.  It's under File > Preferences
As always, thanks so much, E.J.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Ed Cordes on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:49 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Interesting thread. I use AI Clear and DeNoise depending on the image. If it is relatively noisy I us DeNoise. On my system it doesn't take too long, but it is slower than AI Clear. At first I thought it didn't sharpen as much as AI Clear but after recent updates it seems to be better. There are still some images for which I think AI Clear is better. The sharpening of details while having good noise control is super. I hope Topaz doesn't do anything to disable AI Clear.

RE AI sharpen, yes it is a bit slow. However, I haven't experienced anything like 20 minutes. Perhaps 2 minutes on a 5D4 file.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Ed Cordes wrote:Interesting thread.  I use AI Clear and DeNoise depending on the image.  If it is relatively noisy I us DeNoise.  On my system it doesn't take too long, but it is slower than AI Clear.  At first I thought it didn't sharpen as much as AI Clear but after recent updates it seems to be better. There are still some images for which I think AI Clear is better.  The sharpening of details while having good noise control is super.  I hope Topaz doesn't do anything to disable AI Clear.

RE AI sharpen, yes it is a bit slow. However, I haven't experienced anything like 20 minutes.  Perhaps 2 minutes on a 5D4 file.
Realize that AI Clear is included in Sharpen AI - got to the right side to where it says Select a Sharpen Mode, there you can select AI Clear.  So even if they do pull it out of Studio, which I agree would be a mistake, the algorithm is available in Sharpen AI

by Cindy Marple on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:44 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
E.J. Peik wrote: Realize that AI Clear is included in Sharpen AI - got to the right side to where it says Select a Sharpen Mode, there you can select AI Clear.  So even if they do pull it out of Studio, which I agree would be a mistake, the algorithm is available in Sharpen AI

On the versions I just downloaded, AI Clear is an option in Denoise, but not in Sharpen.  :)  But that doesn't change your point.  I am seeing one difference in the implementation in Denoise vs in Studio, which is the lack of the opacity slider in Denoise.  I hope they leave it in Studio. 
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Baywing on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:48 pm
Baywing
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:  AI Clear inside Studio is litterally lightyears ahead in that it can tell the difference between a smooth background and fine detail and actually enhances fine detail while eliminating noise on the background. 

In short, I much prefer Studio and the add ons to Studio - it also runs as a plug-in to Photoshop.
 I downloaded and installed Studio but I don't see AI Clear.  Based on what you said it can do, I'm interested.  Using Windows, is it a Mac only thing?
Thanks
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by signgrap on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:10 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Baywing wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:  AI Clear inside Studio is litterally lightyears ahead in that it can tell the difference between a smooth background and fine detail and actually enhances fine detail while eliminating noise on the background. 

In short, I much prefer Studio and the add ons to Studio - it also runs as a plug-in to Photoshop.
 I downloaded and installed Studio but I don't see AI Clear.  Based on what you said it can do, I'm interested.  Using Windows, is it a Mac only thing?
Thanks
Studio is free, AI Clear you must purchase. 
Dick Ludwig

by Eia on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:29 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
In the Topaz studio The AI Clear offered ‘try pro’ for 20 something days. I purchased it. I hope it does not go away, is it not offered in the studio any longer? I am currently trying Denoise and Sharpen. In Denoise, AI Clear is one of three choices but I find it a bit clunky vs. the AI Clear in the studio.
~AnnaMaria~

by Baywing on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 am
Baywing
Forum Contributor
From Topaz:  AI Clear is no longer offered as such, but it has been included in AI Noise.  I would have paid the "plug in" fee but at $80 for AI Noise, it seems a bit steep.
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by signgrap on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:52 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Baywing wrote:From Topaz:  AI Clear is no longer offered as such, but it has been included in AI Noise.  I would have paid the "plug in" fee but at $80 for AI Noise, it seems a bit steep.
Topaz keeps running discounts, some 50% so keep checking.
Dick Ludwig

by WJaekel on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:57 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It;s how much RAM your video card has.  you can look that up on the video card manufacturers website for your exact card.  your card maxes out at just 2MB if it is fully populated.  Your machine doesn't have enough video horsepower either on the Intel side or the nVidia side for a good experience.
That mirrors my experience, too. I recently replaced my old Geforce GTX 570 (1280 MB) with the GTX 1070 (8 GB RAM). AI Sharpen runs MUCH faster now.  A 16bit Tiff file of my 1dxII required around 40 sec while it took several minutes with the old card. Surprisingly AI Sharpen had worked with the old card, at least, though the memory was below the minimum requirements listed on the Topaz' website . My computer has 32 MB RAM but the CPU (i-2600K Sandybridge) is not up to today's standards, though.

Wolfgang

31 posts |