Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Is it normal for SSDs to die after not being powered up for a long periof of time? I have two that I hadn't used for at least a couple of years, and they both don't show in Disk Utility - or anywhere else - when I connect them to the Mac.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Definitely not normal - were they formatted with Mac OSX - if so, Apple changed their format in the last few years and that may be the reason.  I just don't trust Apple because they are constantly obsoleting legacy stuff.  This is something you don't need to worry about in the Windows world.  A disk formatted with PC-DOS on an original 8 bit IBM PC can still be read by today's computers.  Your best bet would be to find a Mac on an old version of OSX and see if the data is there.  If so, copy it all to a FAT based formatted disk and then connect that to your Mac.

by Anthony Medici on Thu May 16, 2019 7:28 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
On a Mac, it should be able to be seen by Disk Utility no matter how it is formatted. It simply should simply not mount if it doesn't understand the format. And if you stick it in a Windows machine and that doesn't understand the format, it will ask if you want to format it.

Is it a case with an SSD in it or is it an external SSD like the Samsung T5? If it is a 2.5" SSD in a case there are options in testing it with other hardware to see if it is the case.
Tony

by photoman4343 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:00 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
It might be the usb cable. If you have another one try it. Make sure the two ends are fully plugged in.
Joe Smith

by Jens Peermann on Sun May 19, 2019 5:26 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks for you suggestion Anthony ans E.J.

I connected those two SSD - one at a time - to an old laptop that runs on Snow Leopard. They didn't show. Then I installed other disks into the external enclosures that I use for those SSDs and they show. That pretty much tells me there's no point trying to revive them.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 19, 2019 7:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jens Peermann wrote:Thanks for you suggestion Anthony ans E.J.

I connected those two SSD - one at a time - to an old laptop that runs on Snow Leopard. They didn't show. Then I installed other disks into the external enclosures that I use for those SSDs and they show. That pretty much tells me there's no point trying to revive them.
There are some things you can try.  I wrote something on this a long time ago and I can't find it now via the search function but it goes something like this:

1. disconect the data cable from the SSD and only connect the power. boot the machine and let it just sit there for 30 minutes.  Now shut down the computer and reconnect the data cable and see if the SSD shows up and is readable

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 19, 2019 8:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This may not be related, but here is another similar thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=281977

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jens Peermann on Sun May 19, 2019 9:08 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Jens Peermann wrote:Thanks for you suggestion Anthony ans E.J.

There are some things you can try.  I wrote something on this a long time ago and I can't find it now via the search function but it goes something like this:

1. disconect the data cable from the SSD and only connect the power. boot the machine and let it just sit there for 30 minutes.  Now shut down the computer and reconnect the data cable and see if the SSD shows up and is readable
I found that procedure on the net as well, but it must be pretty old. It's been quite a few years since the last time I saw a SATA connection with separate power and data plugs. Also, I think this procedure applies to Windows machines and may not suit macs. However, I will try it by blocking the data connections with electrical tape.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Basically any way you can apply power to the disk without asking anything of the data connections. Another way to do it is to stick the SSD in an external dock like the cradle types, power it up but don't hook up the USB data cable.

by Jens Peermann on Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Basically any way you can apply power to the disk without asking anything of the data connections.  Another way to do it is to stick the SSD in an external dock like the cradle types, power it up but don't hook up the USB data cable.

I put the SSD into an external enclosure and plugged the USB cable into a charge port on the USB hub. That should leave out the data.

I just did that, so I have to let it cook for at least 30 minutes now.

by Jens Peermann on Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Basically any way you can apply power to the disk without asking anything of the data connections.  Another way to do it is to stick the SSD in an external dock like the cradle types, power it up but don't hook up the USB data cable.

I put the SSD into an external enclosure and plugged the USB cable into a charge port on the USB hub. That should leave out the data.

I just did that, so I have to let it cook for at least 30 minutes now.

Nope, didn't work. I give up.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 20, 2019 4:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Sorry Jens! :(

by Jens Peermann on Mon May 20, 2019 7:04 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Sorry Jens! :(

No big deal.

Those were 120GB and 240GB 3G drives, 5 or 6 years old. I can get larger and faster USB stick for less than what I paid for those back then. I just wanted to see if it's possible to get some more utility from them. Well it's not. Life goes on…

by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a link to a company that does SSD recovery:

https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

And an article:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/fstoppe ... nia-370057

And some tips:

https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-services/data-recovery-tips/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

14 posts |