Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:47 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I've decided to go with an NAS system for my storage (recommended by a friend).  I'm considering either the Synology DS218j ($169 from Newegg) or the Synology DS218+ ($289 from Newegg) for my Diskstation.

My question, however, is which hard drives to place within the diskstation.  I'm looking at the WD RED 8TB NAS drive or the Seagate Ironwolf 8TB NAS drive.  

The quick specs are:
WD Red - 6gb/s, 256 cache, 5400 rpm, 3.5" form factor (rated 4 eggs by newegg users - 1557 reviews)

Seagate Ironwolf - 6gb/s, 256 cache, 7200 rpm, 3.5" form factor (rated only 3 eggs by newegg users - 188 reviews)

MY QUESTION:
Is WD Red better than the Seagate Ironwolf or why would the WD be rated better when it's a 5400 prm versus the Seagate's 7200 rpm?

SECOND QUESTION:
Is there a better hard drive than either of those options, and why?  ( I chose 8TB because even though it's more than I really need currently, I figure it might not be in 3 years or so, plus 8TB is the max allowed with the DS218j)

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Synology DS218j - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 822108688R 

Synology DS 218+ - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6822108679

WD Red 8TB NAS Drive - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 0002-00B89

Seagate Ironwolf 8TB NAS Drive - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6822179003
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 02, 2019 12:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would stay away from the 5400 RPM drives. NAS is slow to begin with you don't need to hamper it even more and if you ever got to 10GB/s Ethernet then they will positively throttle you. Any of the 7200's you listed will be fine. Enterprise drives are the preferred solution but I've had one of my two NAS stations running with plain old retasked consumer drives for about 3 years without a hitch so far (knock on wood)

by Bill Chambers on Thu May 02, 2019 5:36 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thank you E.J. Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between an Enterprise drive and NAS? What makes the Enterprise better?
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You asked about which hard drives to put in your NAS boxes. You can either put consumer grade drives in there or Enterprise class drives in there. The difference is in duty cycle ratings - basically Enterprise drives are made to tighter tollerances and on average will last longer although, of course, with HD's, they can last for decades or they can die tomorrow, but on average an enterprise class is better. There are often some other differences and features between the two.

by signgrap on Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J. Peiker wrote:You asked about which hard drives to put in your NAS boxes.  You can either put consumer grade drives in there or Enterprise class drives in there. The difference is in duty cycle ratings - basically Enterprise drives are made to tighter tollerances and on average will last longer although, of course, with HD's, they can last for decades or they can die tomorrow, but on average an enterprise class is better.  There are often some other differences and features between the two.
Typically Enterprise drives have a better/longer warranty.
Dick Ludwig

by Bill Chambers on Fri May 03, 2019 6:22 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thank you, both E.J. and Dick.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Greg Downing on Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I would strongly recommend you get a box that can house more than two drives. It pays to plan ahead and have some room to grow. I have three 8-drive synology boxes. The first box is not full of drives but the other two are full of old drives that were no longer being used and these two boxes are backups of box #1. Box #1 has new 6TB NAS drives in it while the others are using all my old drives. I have it set to TWO DISK FAULT TOLERANCE which you cannot do in a drive with ONLY two disks. This is important to me because 1. I am using older drives for the backup boxes and 2. I need to lose 3 drives at the same time in order to lose any data. So I suggest at least a box that will hold 4-5 drives to start with and not one that only holds 2.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Bill Chambers on Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks Greg for your advice!
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

8 posts |