All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 32 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Shades of the CS6 to CC transition and other Adobe transitions where they actively try to trick the customer into paying more money by making it difficult to find the plan you are actually looking for:
https://dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/2019-digital-photography/adobe-cc-pricing.html

by Mike in O on Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:48 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The only reason they keep getting away with their shenanigans is that most of their users are senior and don't want to change platforms.

by DChan on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:06 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:The only reason they keep getting away with their shenanigans is that most of their users are senior and don't want to change platforms.
You mean most of the Photoshop users are seniors?

If so, then may be you have not been to any Scott Kelby seminars/events

Oh, I think quite a few on this forum are also seniors :-) In fact, my impression is that most of the bird/wildlife photographers are middle age folks and older.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DChan wrote:
Mike in O wrote:The only reason they keep getting away with their shenanigans is that most of their users are senior and don't want to change platforms.
Oh, I think quite a few on this forum are also seniors :-) In fact, my impression is that most of the bird/wildlife photographers are middle age folks and older.
I'm 58 and I am almost invariably the youngest person in any workshop that I lead or attend...

by Joel Eade on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:19 am
Joel Eade
Forum Contributor
I would say a smaller percentage of young people are in a financial position or have the free time needed to really pursue this hobby at a high level. Also the ones that do have the time and money may like a more adventurous or action based hobby....just my guess.

I'm 63 but have been into photography since around 1970. I'm not very afraid of changing platforms and have tried a few but I do use Photoshop CC on a MacBook Pro. I do tend to not change computers very often, in fact I just recently acquired a refurbed 2018 MacBook Pro to replace my 2010 model :)

by WJaekel on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Well, just today I got an email from Adobe offering a reduced price of  € 9,90 (regularily € 11,89) for one year with the offer valid until May 2nd. After reading  Thom's comment E.J. had linked to, I carefully checked the conditions and writing to find any tricks. Though they don't clearly label the Abo and name the products included - especially regarding LR CC Classic -, it's obviously the original Photo-Abo with 20 GB Cloud space including PS, LR CC and LR CC Classic. That said, I will stay with my stand alone products PS CS6, LR6 and CaptureOne 12.

Wolfgang

by signgrap on Thu May 02, 2019 1:15 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
More info about Abode's price change on DP Review:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/654172753 ... nth-option
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
And just to mix it up:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news ... uite-in-uk

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by WJaekel on Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:More info about Abode's price change on DP Review:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/654172753 ... nth-option
Yes, they say that they just "run a test" on Adobe.com and have no plan to change the standard option. What a dishonest assertion ! I bet the current $10 plan will be permanently killed within the year - not just the "visibility" for some users. I'm glad that I passed the discount they just had offered me for subcribing into the current Photographers Plan: It's evident now again that once they'd have you on the hook their hand will be in your pocket and you will be forced into paying 20€ per month after the first year. Anyway, I guess there are many photographers excited to pay double the price now - and perhaps $40 per month in the next round. Maybe Adobe looses a few people but unless very unlikely more than half of their subscribers drop it, the price increase makes perfect business sense for them. Though Adobe repeatedly has proven to be especially trustless and perfidious in deceiving and outsmarting the users, they're not alone in todays shiny big players business world solely interested in the profit and caring for the shareholders whether or not the customers like it. Microsoft, Google, Apple etc. are on the same route and within a couple of years others will follow.

Wolfgang

BTW, until yesterday they still had the regular Photo plan ( 11,89 €) on the German website, too. After the discount offer had run out at midnight of May 2nd, I now just get the LR CC plan at € 11,89 (without LR CC Classic and Photoshop) or the CC Photography plan (LR CC, LR CC Classic and PS CC  + 1 TB storage at € 23,79 (= European price "bonus").- What a coincidence ;-) Definetly not a "test" but a strategy. The original plan is not available here anymore.

by Neilyb on Fri May 03, 2019 2:47 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
https://www.adobe.com/de/creativecloud/ ... W&mv=other

Looks like the photo plan just DOUBLED in price! I knew it would happen once Adobe had enough subscribers, but I am still furious and will actively look for alternative until my year is up.

EDIT: just seen your update. :(

by Neilyb on Sat May 04, 2019 7:05 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
It seems the plan does still exist, in the US at least, just that Adobe do not have it on their site and you need a secret link to find it :| just like some of the tools in Photoshop! So I wonder if current sunscribers will keep the original plan for a while longer?

by Wildflower-nut on Sat May 04, 2019 9:26 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
This is what I was afraid of.  All of your optimized photos in proprietary files and now they jack the price up knowing you can't afford to leave.

by signgrap on Sat May 04, 2019 11:04 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
I'm so glad that I made the move to Capture One when Adobe started the CC subscription service for LR & PS in May of 2013.
At the time I was nervous about moving to C1 as I was very comfortable with LR, having used its forerunner RAW Shooter when it was first released and then moved to LR on its release so I've had years and years experience with LR. Capture One likes their customers and is anxious to solve any problems you might encounter. Contrast that with Adobe's mindset where the customer has few if any rights and the only thing they want from customers is money. Adobe has gone out of its way to make it difficult for customers to contact technical support.
Dick Ludwig

by WJaekel on Sat May 04, 2019 11:28 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:It seems the plan does still exist, in the US at least, just that Adobe do not have it on their site and you need a secret link to find it :| just like some of the tools in Photoshop! So I wonder if current sunscribers will keep the original plan for a while longer?
By yesterday the original 11,89 € option officially was available again on the German website, too, after it definetly was gone the day before and just the pure LR CC plan (11,89 €) and 1TB +LR CC + LR CC Classic + PS CC (23,79 €) option had been available. I haven't checked today since I'm not into the subcription model. Possibly it depends on the IP address/cookies/booking history and country which option is shown to the user and can change any day. Adobe said they're testing ;-)

Wolfgang

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 04, 2019 11:45 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:Adobe said they're testing ;-)

Wolfgang
Yeah, they are testing! They’re testing their customers patience and tolerance. When is it going to reach the breaking point?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Neilyb on Sat May 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:
Neilyb wrote:It seems the plan does still exist, in the US at least, just that Adobe do not have it on their site and you need a secret link to find it :| just like some of the tools in Photoshop! So I wonder if current sunscribers will keep the original plan for a while longer?
By yesterday the original 11,89 € option officially was available again on the German website, too, after it definetly was gone the day before and just the pure LR CC plan (11,89 €) and 1TB +LR CC + LR CC Classic + PS CC (23,79 €) option had been available. I haven't checked today since I'm not into the subcription model. Possibly it depends on the IP address/cookies/booking history and country which option is shown to the user and can change any day. Adobe said they're testing ;-)

Wolfgang

Well I checked the US site and it was really only available on a special link I found on a rumors site. The UK site still had the original plan and the German one did not, when I checked in the morning. But it is back now... astounding... :|

by Tim Zurowski on Sat May 04, 2019 6:18 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:I'm so glad that I made the move to Capture One when Adobe started the CC subscription service for LR & PS in May of 2013.
So you are able to do everything you need with regards to processing your files with just Capture One??

by signgrap on Sat May 04, 2019 9:29 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Tim Zurowski wrote:
signgrap wrote:I'm so glad that I made the move to Capture One when Adobe started the CC subscription service for LR & PS in May of 2013.
So you are able to do everything you need with regards to processing your files with just Capture One??
I still have and use PS CS6 and NIK Collection which I use infrequently. I use Topaz Studio more often than PS. But I do about 95% of my processing in C1 Pro v12 for Sony.
Dick Ludwig

by Tim Zurowski on Sat May 04, 2019 9:57 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:
I still have and use PS CS6 and NIK Collection which I use infrequently. I use Topaz Studio more often than PS. But I do about 95% of my processing in C1 Pro v12 for Sony.
So you still need CS6 for some processing features though? Would it not be possible to do everything in Capture One?

by signgrap on Sun May 05, 2019 8:35 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Tim Zurowski wrote:
signgrap wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:
So you still need CS6 for some processing features though? Would it not be possible to do everything in Capture One?
I still have some plugins that use CS6 to do specialized blending that are easier to do in PS. These plugins won't work in C1. C1 is a RAW processing app that is extremely capable but it is not a replacement for PS. If you use PS a lot than you'd have to check out a combination of Affinity Photo and Topaz to see if they can replace PS in your workflow. For a lot of what I do today all I need is C1 and Topaz.
Dick Ludwig

32 posts |