Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 32 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 05, 2019 8:45 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
An interesting take on Adobes’ games:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/0 ... pture-one/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by photoman4343 on Sun May 05, 2019 10:52 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I have read all of these with interest as i was just about ready to switch from Nikon software products to Adobe Camera Raw, Photoshop and maybe Bridge. I tried LR one time, but gave up on how long it took to render the Raw files. My other possibilities are ON1 now that it supports dual monitors, or DXO Photolabs since I really like U Points or control points. Capture One Pro I know is an option, but I am not sure I need all of its firepower.

Joe
Joe Smith

by DChan on Sun May 05, 2019 1:18 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:I have read all of these with interest as i was just about ready to switch from Nikon software products to Adobe Camera Raw, Photoshop and maybe Bridge. I tried LR one time, but gave up on how long it took to render the Raw files. My other possibilities are  ON1 now that it supports dual monitors, or  DXO Photolabs since I really like U Points or control points. Capture One Pro I know is an option, but I am not sure I need all of its firepower.

Joe
Well, you don't need all the firepower of Photoshop, DxO Photolabs either. Capture One Pro is not God; it's just another raw converter. I'd say all of them could get you to the same results only that they may have different ways to get there.  There's another option you could look at: Affinity.

by DOglesby on Sun May 05, 2019 10:21 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Tim Zurowski wrote:
signgrap wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:
signgrap wrote:I'm so glad that I made the move to Capture One when Adobe started the CC subscription service for LR & PS in May of 2013.
So you are able to do everything you need with regards to processing your files with just Capture One??
I still have and use PS CS6 and NIK Collection which I use infrequently. I use Topaz Studio more often than PS. But I do about 95% of my processing in C1 Pro v12 for Sony.
So you still need CS6 for some processing features though? Would it not be possible to do everything in Capture One?
Capture One's luminosity masking feature has cut back on my use of Photoshop but there's still no replacement for Photoshop's cloning capability...and Capture One, of course, can't do any layer blending at all. 
Cheers,
Doug

by WJaekel on Sat May 11, 2019 5:55 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
A bit OOT here, but maybe interesting for some :

https://www.dpreview.com/news/599360879 ... p-versions

http://m2-page.mail.adobe.com/nl/jsp/m. ... X%2FxyM%3D

Wolfgang

by Kari Post on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:
Mike in O wrote:The only reason they keep getting away with their shenanigans is that most of their users are senior and don't want to change platforms.
Oh, I think quite a few on this forum are also seniors :-) In fact, my impression is that most of the bird/wildlife photographers are middle age folks and older.
I'm 58 and I am almost invariably the youngest person in any workshop that I lead or attend...
That's because younger people learn things via YouTube and the internet, and because workshops are often prohibitively expensive and those in their 20s, 30s, and 40s are struggling with student loans and jobs that offer weak benefits and limited vacation. It's not that younger people don't "do photography" but that younger people don't "do workshops".

Tons of popular influencers on Instagram sell Lightroom presets (for both desktop and mobile applications) and Lightroom/Photoshop are still the most commonly used products I hear about from anyone who does anything photography, online marketplace, etc, so I think Adobe products are still very much alive and popular with younger users. I'd also argue that younger user are less averse to subscription based models (in the age of Netflix, Hulu, Zipcar, City Bikes, etc) so I don't think being able to buy software outright is as important to 20 and 30 somethings as it is to generations that were more accustomed to saving for and buying things (like affordable homes that could be purchased by someone when minimum wage was a living wage). 

I'm in my 30's and work at a college - hopefully I'm decently looped into the preferences and habits of non-seniors.
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by WJaekel on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:34 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Kari Post wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:
Mike in O wrote:The only reason they keep getting away with their shenanigans is that most of their users are senior and don't want to change platforms.
Oh, I think quite a few on this forum are also seniors :-) In fact, my impression is that most of the bird/wildlife photographers are middle age folks and older.
I'm 58 and I am almost invariably the youngest person in any workshop that I lead or attend...
Tons of popular influencers on Instagram sell Lightroom presets (for both desktop and mobile applications) and Lightroom/Photoshop are still the most commonly used products I hear about from anyone who does anything photography, online marketplace, etc, so I think Adobe products are still very much alive and popular with younger users. I'd also argue that younger user are less averse to subscription based models (in the age of Netflix, Hulu, Zipcar, City Bikes, etc) so I don't think being able to buy software outright is as important to 20 and 30 somethings as it is to generations that were more accustomed to saving for and buying things (like affordable homes that could be purchased by someone when minimum wage was a living wage). 

I'm in my 30's and work at a college - hopefully I'm decently looped into the preferences and habits of non-seniors.
Maybe younger people grown up just with social media and cloud based applications are more open to rental services though many "seniors" nowadays are ready to pay for various kinds of subscriptions, too. So in fact the problem for many isn't primarily the subscription per se but the way Adobe has treated their loyal customers over the years and lost the confidence of many users by actively playing tricks on them. Long-term users may be more familiar with that history and thus have become more reluctant.
Adobe has skipped the assurance to continue the stand alone version of LR, they recently started the trial balloon to offer different prices for the same CC plan for different customers, they now removed all but the newest versions of LR and PS  to force people to upgrade to the latest software and hardware, they deactivated the map module for the stand alone version of LR and so on. They work hard to hook you to the subscription forever and make the way back to the perpetual license as complicated as possible once the customers want to terminate the rental plan because of price increases, hardware incompatibility or for whatever reason. You cannot simply continue working with your stand alone programs after the cancellation because the perpetual licenses had been taken over and changed by the Cloud. You must deinstall ALL Adobe software, reinstall the stand alone versions and hope to get them reactivated. But you easily could be locked out from using even the perpetual programs in the future if you change your computer or Adobe decides to pull the trigger and shut down the activation server for the stand alone versions as they already did for CS2 etc. So there's no trust in them given their history. Agreed, that PS and LR still are the standard in the industry and it's sad, that the dominance is linked to tricks and poor customer support. I don't know if younger people aren't aware of all that or don't care about it. That said, Adobe recently reported record Q2 revenue. So there's no need for them to change anything with regard of their ethics and strategy ;-)

Wolfgang

by signgrap on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Wolfgang well said !
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Exactly Wolfgang - you hit the nail on the head! It's the disingenuous behavior!

by Greg Downing on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:59 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Waiting for Adobe to tell me that my $9.99 subscriptions (or which I pay for 3 of with various employees) are no longer. They can't just change the price without informing customers right? So far it's still $9.99 as far as I know..
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Greg Downing wrote:Waiting for Adobe to tell me that my $9.99 subscriptions (or which I pay for 3 of with various employees) are no longer. They can't just change the price without informing customers right? So far it's still $9.99 as far as I know..
They changed new subscriptions to $19.99 as a "test" or so they say and the backlash was massive so they quietly changed it back.  But there are other issues like threatening that you might be subject to legal action if you use an older version, as well as a number of other duplicitous things with other CC applications.  There's a somewhat significant "get out of adobe" groundswell going on right now.

by Kari Post on Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:16 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
I just wish I could get the same educator discount on my subscription plan as I did when I bought the software outright. Not that I have much of an issue with $10/month but it would be nice if it was half that. ;)

It's also interesting that some cameras seem to be much better supported by other editing applications... I have been researching the Ricoh GR series cameras and it seems Capture One does a much better job with color of the RAW files than Adobe does (despite the RAW files themselves being DNGs). I just know that in terms of workflow everyone I collaborate with professionally is very much embedded in Adobe.
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

32 posts |