All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by dbolt on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:51 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I can't get LR-CC-C to detect my 5DM3 when I click Start Tether Capture.  The popup menu window searches for a bit and then says "Can't detect camera."  I've tried two different USB cables and I've tried both USB-C ports on the MBA.  I know one of the cables works when connecting the camera to my desktop PC (USB-A to USB-B).  The MBA is new, so I don't know if the problem is associated with the cable, LR (11.2.1) or the MBA.  I do not have a cable that goes directly from USB-C to USB-A, so I rely on adapters.  I've tried an authentic Apple USB-C to USB-B adapter and a Hyper multiport adapter with the same result.

I would appreciate some suggestions to get tethering to work because I want to use it at Koto recital on Sunday to photography about 20 women wearing authentic Japanese Kimonos.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by dbolt on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:58 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Update: I've been able to activate Remote Shooting in DPP-4 after several issues, mainly involving EOS Utility 2 rather than 3. But, LR still does not work (does not find the camera). I really don't want to have to learn DPP before Sunday. However, one of the main objectives for shooting tethered was to have large enough images so the costume folks would be able to add names and some keywords. Maybe I can get by with DPP.

Obviously, I would rather use LR because I am totally new to DPP.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If tethering is something you are going to do a lot in the future, you might consider Capture One, if nothing else only to use it's totally seamless and 100% reliable tethering. There's a reason it is virtually the only thing used in high end fashion studio shoots. The tethering just works! I know a number of photographers that have their whole business built in LR and Adobe but for tethering they use C1 and then import the files into LR later. You can even anotate the photos with hand drawn text right after tether capture. Just a thought if you plan on doing more of this...

by dbolt on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Thanks, EJ.
I spent most of today getting DPP-4 to work. When I say to work, I don’t mean to imply that it is always working. I have yet to make LB even access the camera. I’m getting to old to learn new techniques. I have considered Capture one for other reasons. Maybe I should at least give a try.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by signgrap on Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Doug, there are 6 tutorial videos @ C1 Learning Hub that explain tethered capture.
Click this link to get to the C1 Learning Hub:   https://learn.captureone.com/
Once on the Learning Hub page - under Filter Topic click on Tethered.
You should be now be looking at just the 6 videos involved with tethering (ignore the video about Capture Pilot and the older C1 v 11 video).
Look at the 3 short videos that give an over view of tethered capture first then look at Fast Tethered Capture 60:00 minutes.
Looking at these 4 videos should give you a good overview of what tethering is like on C1 before making a commitment of purchasing C1.
I started using C1 when Adobe went to the CC version of LR. C1 takes some time to master but is well worth the effort. Using C1 for tethering should not require you to master all of C1 to do what you want to do. All you need to learn is tethering the rest can wait. I have found C1's Learning Hub to be a major asset when learning something new in C1.
Dick Ludwig

by dbolt on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Dick,

Thanks a bunch.  Your reply was very helpful. I'll check out the videos.

I just finished explaining to my wife why I like to follow Naturescapes.net.  One good reason is because  there are so many helpful pros here who are willing to take the time to help others when there is nothing in it for themselves, other than the good feeling of helping others.  

Thanks again.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by dbolt on Wed May 01, 2019 10:02 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
dbolt wrote:Dick,

Thanks a bunch.  Your reply was very helpful. I'll check out the videos.

I just finished explaining to my wife why I like to follow Naturescapes.net.  One good reason is because  there are so many helpful pros here who are willing to take the time to help others when there is nothing in it for themselves, other than the good feeling of helping others.  

Thanks again.

Update on Koto Recital:  After lots of frustration before the show trying to get something worked out so I could tether the 5DM3 to a Macbook Air, showtime went on without a hitch.  If interested, here's the approach. Set EOS Utility 3.app to load at login.  Load Digital Photo Professional 4.  Connect 5DM3 to laptop with USB-mini to USB-C cable.  Set DPP to view full screen.  Then snap away.  Lighting was very basic with one speedlite bounced off a 4' white reflector and a white backdrop. Here is an example.  Yes, I need a larger backdrop!
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

7 posts |