Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:03 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I was in Costa Rica last week with my Sony Vaio 15 inch laptop, about 6.5  years old. I had problems getting the start button to work after a power outage. (The laptop continued to work during the outage on battery power.)  I was in a humid area of CR. 

The next time I turned it on, it was dead. I got some descecant and placed the laptop in my laptop bag with the desecant. After about 7 hours, it would turn on. The next day, (laptop in bag with the dedecant) same problem.   

At higher elevations with less humidity it worked fine and is working fine  now that I am home in Houston. 

And thoughts on what caused the problem? 

I know I have to get a new laptop as this one is just about worn out so I do not want to spend a lot of money fixing a problem that may have gone away. 

Joe 
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Did you try just holding the start button for 30 seconds or so? Sometimes that is required in a situation where the computer was not shut down properly. It is possible that the battery exhaustion caused this and it had nothing to do with the humidity at all.

by photoman4343 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:29 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
E. J., I did not try that fix while in Costa Rica. Now that I am back home, the laptop has other issues. Last night it went into Recovery mode when I was using it. I do not think that mode did much. I pushed the start button to turn it off. Then waited all night to turn it back on and it opened normally this morning.

I will be checking out the Dell XPS and Lenovo Think Pad Extreme laptops. Any others I ought to consider? 

Joe.
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Those are both good options, Joe.

by photoman4343 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I just ordered a Lenovo thinkpad extreme x1 15 inch. Thanks, EJ
Joe Smith