« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I created a slideshow for YouTube and just uploaded it to YouTube this morning.  This was my first effort uploading something on YouTube. From reading articles before creating it, I took away that the resolution should be 1920 x 1080 @ 72 dpi for optimum viewing on most platforms.  I created the show in Movavi Video Suite 18 and saved it as an MP4. I sized the images at 1920 x ~ for horizontals and at ~ x 1080 for verts. I processed the images at that resolution and sharpened as I normally would for posting on the web. I sharpened the images using one of three ways, using either NIK output sharpening, Topaz AI Clear, or Topaz AI Sharp. Viewing it, I was VERY displeased with the sharpening on many of the images.  I viewed it on my desktop, my laptop, and on our main TV in the living room.  It looked far worse on the TV than on the desktop or laptop.  Some images looked fine, but others looked WAY, WAY oversharpened.  It didn't seem to matter which camera was used or which sharpening method was used, the oversharpening was sprinkled throughout regardless of camera or sharpening method.

Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone have any suggestions for a better way of processing for YouTube?

Here's a link to the upload - "Eden Revisited" Link

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bill
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:23 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I viewed it on an iPad and am not qualified to give you advice on sharpening, but I have one suggestion. Some images had the title box over parts of the subject. I would rather not have the subject covered at all, if possible. Otherwise, it’s an interesting video with a good mix of subject matter. Others will give you appropriate technical advice.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Bill Chambers on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:07 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks Joe for the suggestion.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Some beautiful photography. To me, the little text boxes were a distraction that took me away from viewing the photos. Unless this is a travel guide for the are, I think it would be better without them. The only other thing that personally I could do with out is the black and white photos. Since there are so few, in the middle of all of the beautiful color photos, they almost hit you upside the head as you view it and seem out of place. But don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful 5 minute show and I wouldn't have even brought those things up had you not asked for real feedback.

by Bill Chambers on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:41 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J., I truly appreciate the suggestions.  I'll definitely do away with the description boxes in the future.  Any ideas on the sharpening issues?  On the desktop I created the video on, everything looks good, but on the TV, it just looks horrible.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hmm, it looks fine on a 32" monitor.  Your TV probably has some presets set for relatively low rez highly compressed TV broadcasts (even HD TV is awful the way cable systems deliver it to you).  You can probably go into your TV's video settings and change them - moth have many different settings you can adjust them to but default they come for a highly compressed NTSC signal.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I watched about half of the video, and everything looked fine.

I would suggest breaking the video into three smaller videos. It's almost 6 minutes long, and I think that you would get more viewers if you had 3 videos that were each about 2 minutes long.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Bill Chambers on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Jeff for your suggestion. I was wondering about the time, but I have no idea what the optimum viewing time is supposed to be. I will try your suggestion.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

8 posts |