Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:42 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Not really photo related, but I mainly use the laptop as my photo workstation and for internet access, and you all are the most knowledgeable people re: this stuff that I know.  Pardon typos, etc, posting from iPad for reasons that will become obvious.
We’re in extreme S TX, and our Verizon isn’t stellar.  Lately, we can’t open Chrome on our laptop, (Win7Pro), but we can get on w/ our iPhones and iPad.  I click on the desktop icon, then the highlighting of the icon just fades out.  If I go in via “programs” nothing happens at all.  I can get on IE, it opens the home page, and links are sloooow to open.
I tried a restore point where I know Chrome worked.  No luck.
If it’s just crappy signal, is there a reason it works w/ iPad, but not the PC?  And why would IE sort of work?
Could my Chrome download have gotten corrupted?  Should I delete it and re-download via IE?
If so, should I use the Win7 uninstall, or the one in CC tools?
Thanks in advance.  We’re in a motor home, and will soon be heading to an even more rural area, so I’d really like to get this fixed ASAP!
BTW, the Lenovo system scan says everything is peachy, FWIW.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You don’t mention how you are trying to connect to the internet. Have you tried using the phone as a mobile hotspot to connect to the internet? If your phone is getting internet service on Verizon, there’s no reason that you can’t get service through the mobile hotspot of your phone. I’d hold off on doing anything drastic with the computer until you can try it in a strong service area. How is the signal on the phone? 4g or less?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Craig Lipski on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:28 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
We have a Verizon router/hot spot(?) - Smart Hub.  (Obviously this is not my strong suit.)
Right now, phone signal is 1 to 3 bars of LTE if not using WiFi hub.
Smart Hub restarted and updated when I touched it to activate the signal strength display  - now it’s on, showing 3 (of 5) bars LTE.
Laptop doesn’t play with phone via Bluetooth, so haven’t tried using phone as hotspot; but even if that worked, why can I get on line w/ IE but not Chrome?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OK, lets separate poor signal from why IE works and Chrome doesn't. You know you have a lousy signal. That is something only you can fix. There is now satellite that offers 25Mbs which is MUCH MUCH better than what you are experiencing now. I don't know how much it costs but it is an option in remote areas.

As for IE vs. Chrome. What I would suggest is a complete uninstall of Chrome. Then use IE to DL a new version of Chrome and install it. Hopefully this will fix whatever has gotten corrupt.

by Craig Lipski on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:40 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:OK, lets separate poor signal from why IE works and Chrome doesn't.  You know you have a lousy signal.  That is something only you can fix.  There is now satellite that offers 25Mbs which is MUCH MUCH better than what you are experiencing now.  I don't know how much it costs but it is an option in remote areas.

As for IE vs. Chrome.  What I would suggest is a complete uninstall of Chrome.  Then use IE to DL a new version of Chrome and install it.  Hopefully this will fix whatever has gotten corrupt.

That was my instinct.  Any advantage to Win7 or CC uninstall?
Thank you!

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
My deep uninstaller of choice is the Revo Uninstaller - it's a free program but since you are having connectivity issues, I'd just go into Control Panel > Programs and Features and then uninstall from there.

by Craig Lipski on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:My deep uninstaller of choice is the Revo Uninstaller - it's a free program but since you are having connectivity issues, I'd just go into Control Panel > Programs and Features and then uninstall from there.
Well, uninstalling was easy, but re-downloading it took, literally, hours, but it worked.
I figured it was somehow corrupted, but hearing from you all was an assurance I needed before I went poking buttons.
Thanks for all your help!

7 posts |