« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 1 post | 
by Joerg Rockenberger on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I am considering getting the BenQ SW2700PT and wonder if someone has some feedback on using it with a 2017 MacBook Pro (running High Sierra).

1) the MBP has two graphics cards, an Intel HD Graphics 630 (1.5 GB VRAM) and a Radeon Pro 560 (4 GB VRAM). My understanding is that the Intel chip drives the internal Retina display but an external display would use the Radeon. Is that correct? And is that card sufficient to drive the BenQ with adequate performance?

2) Since I am on the road a lot these days I need to be able to do some photo editing on the laptop without an external monitor. To that end, I purchased a xrite i1 display pro to calibrate the Retina display. I can use it also to calibrate the BenQ with its palette master element software. I understand that this software writes the calibration info in the LUT of the BenQ. But would the calibration info generated with the xrite software for the Retina display interfere with the calibration of the BenQ? 

3) I am surprised that the BenQ SW2700PT was released already more than 3 years ago. And there does't appear to be a successor model on the BenQ website. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar model with comparable IQ/performance/price but of more recent vintage?

4) I've lost track of the various connection options, and their compatibility with the RoW, Apple utilized in recent years. And I wonder if this laptop (four thunderbolt 3 connectors) is compatible with the display port connection on the BenQ (v. 1.2) or if I need an adapter. Note, my previous external monitor NEC PA242W-BK-SV didn't work with this laptop using a thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter although it physically fit. I had to switch to an HDMI cable via an adapter. If I need to use HDMI/adapter does that affect performance or IQ of the BenQ?

Thanks! Best, Joerg

1 post |