Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Why am I getting the magenta & green fringing around a eagle shot I got over the Mississippi River last week. I've tried going to Lens Correction and then to custom tab and moving the magenta and green sliders all the way to the left to zero. Nothing happens the fringing is still there. Is this because I am on a stand alone CS6 that has not been updated since the cloud started? At this time I have to use the clone brush and take out the fringing manually. My shot was taken using a Nikkor 600mm F:4 G VR and a D5. I thought with that set up fringing would not be a problem.

Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I'm really surprised that you are getting strong Chromatic Aberration with that caliber of lens. I'd be worried that a lens element was not positioned properly and would send the lens in for service because that lens should have essentially no CA, especially on a camera with such a low pixel density and large pixel sites.

As for your question, it sounds like something is not right because you should have no problem affecting that but it should be done prior to RAW conversion in your whatever RAW converter you are using.

by Larry Shuman on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I shoot in raw all the time. I use Nikon transfer2 and bridge. I open the file in CS6. should I go the Lens Correction first?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Larry Shuman wrote:I shoot in raw all the time. I use Nikon transfer2 and bridge. I open the file in CS6. should I go the Lens Correction first?
What are you using to do the RAW conversion?  ACR?  If so, go to the lens corrections tab, zoom ito the image to 100% and work the CA sliders to minimize the problem.

I do think you have a lens element that is decentered though!

by Larry Shuman on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
The shot in question was a backlighted shot on a low cloudy day. I tried the ACR lens corrections tab and it worked perfectly.. I never knew that ACR could do this. Well I learned something new today. Thanks EJ

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Glad that worked for you. Always, always, always do CA correction prior to RAW conversion :) It's almost impossible to do it well once the file has been demosaiced.

6 posts |