Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:53 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I use MS Outlook (with Office 365) for my email program.  When I insert images into an email they do not size correctly for some reason.  Usually, they are larger, by a good bit, than I sized them. The re-sizing screws up the sharpening and is just a pain in rear-end.  I used to use Outlook Express for my emails and never had an issue.  Is there a setting in Outlook I can change to prevent the re-sizing, or is there anything else I can do to prevent it?  Thanks in advance. 
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Jeff Pearl on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:23 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
Bill, here is some info that should give you some ideas on what to check. https://litmus.com/community/discussions/151-solved-dpi-scaling-in-outlook

by signgrap on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Bill Chambers wrote:I use MS Outlook (with Office 365) for my email program.  When I insert images into an email they do not size correctly for some reason.  Usually, they are larger, by a good bit, than I sized them. The re-sizing screws up the sharpening and is just a pain in rear-end.  I used to use Outlook Express for my emails and never had an issue.  Is there a setting in Outlook I can change to prevent the re-sizing, or is there anything else I can do to prevent it?  Thanks in advance. 
Bill, can I ask a point of clarification; you're embedding an image in the text of the email, NOT attaching the image to the email. 
Is this correct? 
What I do is create a PDF file in Word or whatever your favored program is when combining text and images. Then attach the file as a PDF to the email in Outlook. This way Outlook has no effect on your images or text. PDF files work well when attached to various email clients/software and across platforms i.e. Mac/PC. The major drawback is that some people (relatively few these days) don't accept emails with an attachment. The workaround to this is to notify the recipients that a file with an attachment is coming beforehand. This of course assumes that you are sending to individuals and not to businesses as many businesses ban email with attachments. We do our Holiday letter that my wife lays out in Indesign, sends out as a PDF, using Outlook 2010. Never have an issue like you're experiencing with Outlook.
Dick Ludwig

by Bill Chambers on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thank you Jeff & Dick. I will look into both ideas.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Microsoft apps utilize the DPI that's embedded in the image and scale according to that. To make things come in right, divide the number of pixels your monitor is wide by the horizontal measurement of the screen. So lets say your monitor is 2560pixels wide and it measures 20" wide then you would use 2560/20=128 as the DPI in your output settings when you export or save the file out of your photo program. If Photoshop, set that DPI number in Image Size prior to saving the JPEG. If you do this, the image scale will be identical to any Microsoft apps scaling. It's an annoying quirk of Microsoft Office since its inception. By the way it is good to set your photoshop preferences to whatever that number is under Preferences > Units & Rulers > Screen Resolution. This will also help keep scaling right when exporting to other applications. It won't impact anything you post to the internet which is DPI independent.

Of course if you don't want to do that, simply bring the image in the way it is, click on it and drag the corners to whatever size you want in the document while holding down the shift key to maintain the proper aspect ratio. It's actually quicker to do that then what I suggest above.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
E.J. Peiker wrote:Microsoft apps utilize the DPI that's embedded in the image and scale according to that.  To make things come in right, divide the number of pixels your monitor is wide by the horizontal measurement of the screen.  So lets say your monitor is 2560pixels wide and it measures 20" wide then you would use 2560/20=128 as the DPI in your output settings when you export or save the file out of your photo program.  If Photoshop, set that DPI number in Image Size prior to saving the JPEG.  If you do this, the image scale will be identical to any Microsoft apps scaling.  It's an annoying quirk of Microsoft Office since its inception.  By the way it is good to set your photoshop preferences to whatever that number is under Preferences > Units & Rulers > Screen Resolution.  This will also help keep scaling right when exporting to other applications.  It won't impact anything you post to the internet which is DPI independent.

Of course if you don't want to do that, simply bring the image in the way it is, click on it and drag the corners to whatever size you want in the document while holding down the shift key to maintain the proper aspect ratio.  It's actually quicker to do that then what I suggest above.
Originally posted by Bill Chambers but due to my error, it went into the wrong thread:
Bill Chambers wrote:Wow, thanks, E.J.  Great info, and I think your last suggestion is right on!  BTW, you answered my question in the wrong thread.  Would you please move this to my thread?

6 posts |