Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by jnadler on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:06 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
I am thinking about starting up again doing nature programs at schools and libraries as I did years ago, back when digital projectors were just entering the consumer marketplace.  Expensive and sold off at terrible loss years ago. Today, anyone happy with the budget end of a specific model Digital projector that faithfully displays details, colors, blacks, etc. on screen sizes of large meeting rooms?  

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You posted this three times as three different threads. I have deleted all but this one.

by Jeff Pearl on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:30 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
Most schools and libraries in this area already have projectors mounted in the rooms. You just connect to them with their wireless and show power points, etc, so you might not need to buy one. I'd check wirecutter and see what they suggest. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-projector/

by WJaekel on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:28 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I'm currently using the Canon XEED WUX 500 (1920x1200) projector for my presentations. It's pretty good for colors, contrast, black, details etc. But with it's price of around 3500 € maybe not the budget you're considering. Before, I had the XEED SX 50 (SXGA 1400x1050) which was pretty expensive when it was introduced, too and had been used by many nature photogs here in Europe around 2010. It was good for colors, blacks etc and the details were good, too. Maybe there are still used ones available on the market for around 300 to 500 €. Though pretty old now, I think it's still better for nature photographs than most of the projectors mounted in schools or librairies or used as home-based beamers. But to keep things simple and cheep, I agree with Jeff's comment that you just could used the one available at the location. Of course, there are many options offered by Benq, Optoma and others for the home cinema market, too, which might require some compromises for colors, blacks or other features but can do the job if the requirements of the audience aren't that high. 4K projectors still are very expensive, of course. For example,the Sony VPL-VW270 ES costs around 5000 € and is considered a midrange 4K projector from what I've seen in the tests.

Wolfgang

by jnadler on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:33 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Jeff Pearl wrote:Most schools and libraries in this area already have projectors mounted in the rooms. You just connect to them with their wireless and show power points, etc, so you might not need to buy one. I'd check wirecutter and see what they suggest. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-projector/

Since it is best to size the images to a used projector (1920p, 1024p), what sizing would you be best doing with a variety of projectors?

by photoman4343 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I am in a photo study group that purchased a new digital projector in Dec 2018. The facilitator chose an Epson 2100. Price was under $1000, about $800 or thereabouts. Its native resolution is 1920x1080 and we will size our images accordingly to take full advantage of the resolution.

It is very hard to make a recommendation for someone else as many projectors are designed to meet the conditions of the room that in which it will be used. The size of the room, its lighting, and the distance of the projector from the screen or other projection surface all impact what projector you will need and what focal length lens it has and its zoom range. One feature about Epson projectors that I like is that it has an ECO mode that allows for the bulb power to be lowered. This is often needed to insure that the images are not too bright. And replacement bulbs for Epson projectors tend to be less in cost than bulbs for other brands.

Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I am in a photo study group that purchased a new digital projector in Dec 2018. The facilitator chose an Epson 2100. Price was under $1000, about $800 or thereabouts. Its native resolution is 1920x1080 and we will size our images accordingly to take full advantage of the resolution.

It is very hard to make a recommendation for someone else as many projectors are designed to meet the conditions of the room in which it will be used. The size of the room, its lighting, and the distance of the projector from the screen or other projection surface all impact what projector you will need and what focal length lens it has and its zoom range. One feature about Epson projectors that I like is that it has an ECO mode that allows for the bulb power to be lowered. This is often needed to insure that the images are not too bright. And replacement bulbs for Epson projectors tend to be less in cost than bulbs for other brands.

Joe Smith

7 posts |