« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by Richard B. on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Dick, that does sound good. Thank you. Gonna check it out along with two others, but I think I will look at Shutterfly first.

Richard

by Primus on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:04 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
^

Sounds interesting, but very similar to a Yahoo group where instead of sharing messages you share photos. Problem with such a set up is that it is not YOURS, i.e. not your vision of how you wish to present your particular portfolio and how you want the screen to look like - templates, color schemes, fonts, display size etc. I am loathe to give up control of these key elements or to allow others to modify content as they feel.

Still, it is another option for a family to share photos.

One note of caution if I may. My own experience may not apply to everyone, but something worth thinking about, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

On one of our family trips ( 32 of us on a ten day bus trip to Rajasthan), a lot of photos were taken. I created a Smugmug account and a specific album for people to upload their images. Very soon, there were over 4000 images in the album. People simply did not want to be bothered to edit or selectively upload images, some of them dumped the entire SD card. When I asked them to please edit or remove the bad ones, they said they did not have the time. And these are my very near and dear family! So I did my best, culling all the bad ones, realized quickly that it was a terrible task to be assigned.

I ended up deleting the entire album and closing the account.

Pradeep

by signgrap on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Primus wrote:. . . . edit

One note of caution if I may. My own experience may not apply to everyone, but something worth thinking about, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

On one of our family trips ( 32 of us on a ten day bus trip to Rajasthan), a lot of photos were taken. I created a Smugmug account and a specific album for people to upload their images. Very soon, there were over 4000 images in the album. People simply did not want to be bothered to edit or selectively upload images, some of them dumped the entire SD card. When I asked them to please edit or remove the bad ones, they said they did not have the time. And these are my very near and dear family! So I did my best, culling all the bad ones, realized quickly that it was a terrible task to be assigned.

I ended up deleting the entire album and closing the account.

Pradeep
This is exactly why I cautioned not to allow too many people to become "Owners" with full site privileges. On our family Share site there are only 3 site Owners - my brother who does all the writing and text input, my nephew, an IT manager who will become the next generation site owner and myself. I do a good portion of the photography and uploading/culling of photos from others in the family and the graphic design and layout of the site pages. My wife a trained graphic designer and I ran a Signs and Graphics business for 22 years so we understand good graphics and layout.
Dick Ludwig

by Richard B. on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Yike! Never thought of handling thousand's of images. Thanks for the caution. I will ask people to limit their photos to a specific manageable number. I think (hope) they will listen. Pradeep, I'm sure deleting images caused a little commotion on the part of some people. Thankless task.

Thanks.

Richard

by OntPhoto on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I recently scanned a couple of family albums into digital files and backed them up on an external SSD drive. Will make a copy of this and store in a bank safety deposit box. Someone told me that when a SSD drive fails it's harder to recover data from it than if it were on a HDD. So, will make another copy on an external HDD. Home copy stored inside fire-resistant case. Sent some to family members via email.

Scanner I used is a Canon and can be bought for about $120 CAD. Doesn't have to be expensive at all.

25 posts |