All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by dbolt on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:32 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I have been using Acronis backup software since 2007, but my PC (Win10Pro 1809 build 17763.195) has been getting blamed by WhoCrashed for causing UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP BSOD.  WhoCrashed says the BSOD was caused by fitsrv.sys.  The BSOD occurs several times a month, but not predictably.  I have not been successful getting a simple fix from Acronis.  They indicate that ver 2019 is available.  I'm running 2018, which is up to date.  Not sure I want to shell out another $25 with just a hope 2019 will fix the problem.  I've removed Acronis with add/remove and reinstalled and still see the problem.  Maybe it is time to try a different backup/restore program.  One that provides better support when something goes wrong.  

Suggestions?
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I ran into problems with Acronis several years ago and completely removed it from all systems. I have found a similar but better product that includes the cloning capability like Acronis as well as backup and virtually all that Acronis could do plus more and for most people the free version may be all you need. It's called Macrium Reflect.

by dbolt on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:50 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Thanks, E.J.

I'll give it a try. Acronis is getting too complicated and all-encompassing anyhow. I just want to a backup system that doesn't know about the kitchen sink, just primarily backup and restore.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by Ed Cordes on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
E.J. this is good information to know. , too, have been using Acronis on 3 machines for many years. I now find the interface of the newer versions is just not user friendly - to me anyway. Finding an alternative is something I will look into. I will give Macrium Reflect a look.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If it's just the interface that's bothering you, Macrium is very workmanlike - nothing fancy but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

by richard bledsoe on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:27 am
richard bledsoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I ran into problems with Acronis several years ago and completely removed it from all systems.  I have found a similar but better product that includes the cloning capability like Acronis as well as backup and virtually all that Acronis could do plus more and for most people the free version may be all you need.  It's called Macrium Reflect.

+1 to EJ's remarks. I have been using Macrium Reflect for about two years and it's been a good experience.

by Greg Downing on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:12 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Using Acronis on 7 machines without issue (so far). Aside from this one issue what are the problems that you guys were having with it?
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Ed Cordes on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Greg Downing wrote:Using Acronis on 7 machines without issue (so far). Aside from this one issue what are the problems that you guys were having with it?
No real problems.  it's just that the interface changed and is a bit less intuitive.  They seem to want to encourage you use their cloud storage and have to set it up to use your local external HD.  Now that I am used to it not too much of an issue.  However, I am always open to alternatives.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:34 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Macrium Reflect ;)

9 posts |