All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:26 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I have a 5 year old Asus Ultrabook (UX31A) with a 250GB SSD and I ran CCleaner a few days ago and the next day when I went to boot up it would not load Windows (10 Home).  I tried a number of things to no avail so I downloaded the latest Windows 10 Home 64 bit USB download and had no problem installing it.  I ran a drive scan and found no issues so it doesn't look like the SSD was the problem.

The day before I'd run CCleaner and did the first tab cleaner action then the second tab registry action and it is the second action that I think hosed the system.  I suspect but can't confirm that CCleaner hosed the registry and with that hosed the laptop wouldn't boot.  I should add that I didn't have CCleaner installed for the 2+ years I've had Win10 installed so the failure occurred after the first use of CCleaner though the laptop didn't die right away, it did so on the next boot attempt.

So, after reloading a fresh Win10 Home 64 bit and several rounds of updates after that I then downloaded and installed CCleaner once again and this time I had no problems and in fact the registry scan indicated zero problems.

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I've never seen tht happen in 15 years of using ccleaner but it is likely that some registry key got misidentified and deleted.

by DChan on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:59 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
The computer could be in sleeping mode. No joke and I don't know why it's so. Sometimes when I boot up my Asus laptop, nothing seems to be happening. After googling about it sometime ago, these days I'd just try waking it up (check your laptop manual for way to do it) or simply reboot it. From google this seems to happen to many people.

I've been using CCleaner (free version) without issue so far.

by signgrap on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:31 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Did you save the Registry files that were deleted?
When you do a cleaning CCleaner gives you the option of saving the files. If you did save them I believe you can can re-install them. I'm not sure how you do it but you should be able to find it in CCleaner Help. I always save the files just in case something happens - nothing has in 12 years of regular use.
Dick Ludwig

by Brian Stirling on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:29 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
signgrap wrote:Did you save the Registry files that were deleted?
When you do a cleaning CCleaner gives you the option of saving the files. If you did save them I believe you can can re-install them. I'm not sure how you do it but you should be able to find it in CCleaner Help. I always save the files just in case something happens - nothing has in 12 years of regular use.
I could never boot to see and the drive is a built in SSD type so no chance of putting in something else and using as an external.

The option to save the registry file is helpful IF you can boot but if you can't...

This has never happened to me before and as EJ said it's likely that an important registry key was somehow corrupted or otherwise identified as needing to be deleted.  

Brian

by signgrap on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:46 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Have you tried booting in Safe mode?
Dick Ludwig

6 posts |