« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:30 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I'm starting a new computer.  I've loaded CS6 and Lightroom 6.  Getting ready to install CC versions.  Anything I need to do to protect prior installs from CC installation?

by david fletcher on Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:36 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
I'm probably not the most technically competent person to answer this, but I do not need technical competence to share an experience.

Prior versions shouldn't be affected, but you may need to copy and paste any Filters etc back into the Plug ins folder. (CC install didn't overwrite previous PS versions, but my Topaz Labs plug ins needed manually replacing into the new CC Plug Ins folder.  Topaz Studio was fine).

Went down this road a few years back.  Basically because I know, understand and am familiar with the work process adobe provide, and having looked at other options, decide for my own personal preferences, to move to CC.  (from PS4, so gives you the timescale... Sept 24th 2013).

Regarding your original question though, there was nothing needed in particular on my part.  My filters Topaz, Imagenomic and the Nik collection remained intact on my old version, with a little work to get them running on the new as mentioned above.

One of the reasons for buying into it was the automatic upgrades.  (costing out when my likely change period meant overall, I would not be spending any more than if I were updating the "old way" by buying a latest version.  (I usually skipped every other version).

The reason for the reply is that you should know there can be issues.  

My updates went swimmingly until the latest Nikon Z6/7 came along.  No issues with the D850 update when it came along...However, some months after that point, whilst, my Adobe Updater continually said I had the latest version, I clearly did not.  (the updater was screwed).

Trying to communicate with Adobe was appalling.  Ultimately, the ONLY way I got their attention was to go through the cancellation process.  Worked a treat, but I would have pressed that button in a heart beat.  

Thereafter, their customer service was faultless.  Was 1st class.  BUT, I did have to point the gun to their head to get that attention.  

Just to say, for your transfer, my experience was seamless... no issues for quite some years and then it became a fight.  Was worth the effort but a shame to get into a fight when the facts are that when you can actually talk to someone, they are really helpful.   

Having said all that, many retailers are challenging these days, so Adobe are not alone..  maybe a sign of the times... 
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:38 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
My big concern has been that you create files that can only be read with their software meaning once you start you are pretty much stuck with them for the rest of your life.

by david fletcher on Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:32 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Wildflower-nut wrote:My big concern has been that you create files that can only be read with their software meaning once you start you are pretty much stuck with them for the rest of your life.

Saving files to Tiffs and jpegs will be fine whatever your future options and decisions are as pretty well all the software reads them.  Pretty sure whatever the future holds, you'll have an option.  You'll never be stuck, but changing means you will be facing options that may not be entirely comfortable.  

Gotta say, that it is only the RAW files in my experience, that is software dependent and just as sure that whatever your future plans are, there will be options, so if this suits you right now, go for it.  

Don't worry about options... worry about what you like using.  pretty sure at some point, pretty well all the software options from different providers will drive you nuts.. 

Happy Xmas
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ed Cordes on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:05 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I agree with David. Save your files as Tiff and you should be able to open them with any software able to read Tiff files. I would test it prior to cancelling the CC account as you may have to flatten any layers created in PS. I also agree that the monthly cost of having CC is about the same as i was paying to do the bi-annual upgrades under the "old" system. I also like the smooth regular updates CC gives me now. I have spent so much time in the learning curve for LR and PS and I am used to the flow, I just couldn't bring myself to take all the time and frustration learning a new flow. Everyone has their own opinion however. So, what ever works for you is what you should do.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

5 posts |