Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Dan Wolin on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:14 am
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Good morning and Merry Christmas eve to everyone.  Last December I built a new windows desktop (moved from Mac) and had to replace a faulty MB about 5 months ago.  About 1 month ago I started having issues with LR - during imports and edits I am getting the WHEA_uncorrectable_error code and the computer restarts.  This only happens with LR and nothing else.  I can open PS (multiple images) and do heavy editing and nothing happens.  I have uninstalled and re-installed LR which seemed to help for a little while and then it started up again.  I am running the following:

Core i7-7820x - 3.6ghz
32gb ram
Windows 10 Pro - Version 1803

I have checked on Adobe's site and found a few others who have experienced this but I don't see any real solution.  I cannot imagine it is a hardware deal since it only crashed with LR.  Running LR classic CC.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated:)

Dan
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by goldingd on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:26 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Dan Wolin wrote:Good morning and Merry Christmas eve to everyone.  Last December I built a new windows desktop (moved from Mac) and had to replace a faulty MB about 5 months ago.  About 1 month ago I started having issues with LR - during imports and edits I am getting the WHEA_uncorrectable_error code and the computer restarts.  This only happens with LR and nothing else.  I can open PS (multiple images) and do heavy editing and nothing happens.  I have uninstalled and re-installed LR which seemed to help for a little while and then it started up again.  I am running the following:

Core i7-7820x - 3.6ghz
32gb ram
Windows 10 Pro - Version 1803

I have checked on Adobe's site and found a few others who have experienced this but I don't see any real solution.  I cannot imagine it is a hardware deal since it only crashed with LR.  Running LR classic CC.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated:)

Dan
If you have not already done so, and looking at the latest postings in the following forum, you may have not, join and inquire about your issue at: https://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom/lightroom-classic-cc/content

Lots of fellow LR Classic CC customers to help.

Now remember that’s a forum, as in a meeting place for people of like interest to communicate, it is nit a support desk, their are no Adobe employees in it.

by goldingd on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:29 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Also, one of the reccomenda5ions you are likely to receive is to start windows in safe mode, and see if LR misbehaves or not. If LR behaves, look to OS, Drivers, or hardware issues.

by goldingd on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:34 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Also, do yourself a favor, when you post your inquiry at the forum, include system information, DO NOT state something like “I have the latest version”, now I see that is not the case, that you are giving better info out. But best practice is as follows

In LR, click on help, click on System Information, cluck on copy, include that info in your inquiry, at least the first 12 lines.

by goldingd on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:45 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Here I am advising you to go to the forum, yet still googling on the issue. Seems like defiantly a hardware or hardware driver issue, LR does not cause blue screens of death, hardware issues do, mind you LR can put a load on the OS and/or the hardware to trigger a failure, LR is a lot more aggressive on resources than say PS.

Could be a GPU going out, could be  a GPU driver, could be RAM, could be GPU RAM, and could be a Power supply ussue, lots of possibilities.

A couple of links, second one derived from first, what about your BIOS?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2084679

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photosho ... -3-crashes

Moving on..

Last edited by goldingd on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Uninstalling an Adobe application using the standard uninstaller generally does nothing for this sort of thing. You need to do a deep unistall which delites all possible remnants of the application, down to the registry entries and any hooks the program has into anything else on your system. All a standard unistall does is remove program files, not the hooks. When you reinstall all those old "hooks" are still there. to completely uninstall you need to sue the creative cloud cleaning tool:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/ ... blems.html
After doing that do a registry clean, reboot and then a reinstall. This will likely resolve the problem.

Also make sure you remove the preferences file:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/pr ... oom-6.html

by Dan Wolin on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:46 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Thank you everyone. Frustrating to say the least. I will check into all of the recommendations this week. I seriously hope it is not a hardware issue:(
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by goldingd on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:55 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
One thing about drivers. Using the ability to check fir Microsoft updates does not always show updates for all hardware. Oh, it might catch a video card driver, but do not rely on it to do so.

I see you built the OC, so you probably know to go to your motherboards support site and check for driver updates, various chipsets, the onboard video, the onboard usb sound, etc, and the BIOS. The software that came with your motherboard, in addition to lots of bloatware may have included a nice utility to check this.

Also, even though you might have say a ASUS Nividia GTX GPU, check with Navidia, not ASUS for that driver (I just used ASYS as an example)

Added cards, WiFi add in card? USB add in card? Sound card (not so much now days) check those

A lot of these drivers for hardware are not updated so much fir the latest capabilities, but for screwups.

So you looked at the motherboard and it’s drivers, you looked at each installed card and drivers, next what have you got plugged in? Keyboard, mouse, external hard drive (that one probably driver defendant on motherboard or add in card drivers), Wacom or other tablet, card reader, the monitor. Many if these have drivers, some go have software (typically utilities), any updates?

And while you are stuck with a keyboard,  a mouse, and a monitor, what about anything else you can unplug, and see if LR behaves? (Rare occurrence if attached hardware failure fouling LR up)

by Dan Wolin on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
goldingd wrote:One thing about drivers. Using the ability to check fir Microsoft updates does not always show updates for all hardware. Oh, it might catch a video card driver, but do not rely on it to do so.

I see you built the OC, so you probably know to go to your motherboards support site and check for driver updates, various chipsets, the onboard video, the onboard usb sound, etc, and the BIOS. The software that came with your motherboard, in addition to lots of bloatware may have included a nice utility to check this.

Also, even though you might have say a ASUS Nividia GTX GPU, check with Navidia, not ASUS for that driver (I just used ASYS as an example)

Added cards, WiFi add in card? USB add in card? Sound card (not so much now days) check those

A lot of these drivers for hardware are not updated so much fir the latest capabilities, but for screwups.

So you looked at the motherboard and it’s drivers, you looked at each installed card and drivers, next what have you got plugged in? Keyboard, mouse, external hard drive (that one probably driver defendant on motherboard or add in card drivers), Wacom or other tablet, card reader, the monitor. Many if these have drivers, some go have software (typically utilities), any updates?

And while you are stuck with a keyboard,  a mouse, and a monitor, what about anything else you can unplug, and see if LR behaves? (Rare occurrence if attached hardware failure fouling LR up)
So LR behaved in safe mode so I am installing the most recent windows update and will check for driver updates next.  If that does not fix it I am guessing it will be a hardware issue which would be frustrating since all of this stuff is only a year old with relatively low miles.  Thanks again for all of the help. My friend primarily built it with my assistance:) so I certainly don’t count myself as an expert with windows. Been pretty much a Mac guy for a long time.  
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

9 posts |