All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
by Bob Ettinger on Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:16 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
I finally got the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 working under Win 10 Pro thanks to help from Dick Ludwig. Now the problem is the colors of the scans are way off. I installed VueScan and the colors are better but still not I used to get from the Nikon.

Does anyone have any ideas how to improve the Nikon scans or do I to ignore the Nikon software and just Vuescan?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by signgrap on Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:57 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Bob I don't do ANY color adjustment in Nikon Scan. I basically leave it at the default levels unless it is noticeably under or over exposed. If it is I'll make an exposure adjustment to get the histogram looking good. Slight under or overexposure I don't worry about. I do use ICE - dust/scratch removal and ROC color correction from faded slides or negatives. I always use ICE and only use ROC when necessary. Both of these work well. After scanning I do all color correction and exposure adjustment in Capture One or Lightroom where I find the controls much better than those in Nikon Scan. I always scan to TIFF's so as to collect as much info as possible. I never scan to JPEG's (lose too much info every time you save the file).
Dick Ludwig

by Bob Ettinger on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:05 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Dick,

I am not trying to do color correction but just trying to avoid color cast. See below. The scan has a problem and this dows not appear when using Vuescan
Bob Ettinger

by signgrap on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:38 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Bob Ettinger wrote:Dick,

I am not trying to do color correction but just trying to avoid color cast. See below. The scan has a problem and this dows not appear when using Vuescan
Does the preview show the color cast?
Does the color cast appear on every scan or just this particular slide/negative?
It might help if you say what the input is from E6 slide or Kodachrome or color negative film.
Nikon Scan is very fussy about picking the type of film input before scanning.
If it's on all the scans them a setting is wrong somewhere.

I'm just guessing here as I don't have enough info to pin point the problem.
Dick Ludwig

by Bob Ettinger on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:05 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
signgrap wrote:
Bob Ettinger wrote:Dick,

Does the preview show the color cast?
Does the color cast appear on every scan or just this particular slide/negative?
It might help if you say what the input is from E6 slide or Kodachrome or color negative film.
Nikon Scan is very fussy about picking the type of film input before scanning.
If it's on all the scans them a setting is wrong somewhere.

I'm just guessing here as I don't have enough info to pin point the problem.
Dick,

It appears on every slide
Not sure what type of film used, probably Kodachrome, Ektachrome, or Agfachrome

Thanks
Bob Ettinger

by signgrap on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:13 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Bob Ettinger wrote: It appears on every slide

Thanks
You didn't say whether the color cast shows in Preview.
If it does then try using a different slide input type to see if this corrects the problem.
Dick Ludwig

by Bob Ettinger on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
signgrap wrote:
Bob Ettinger wrote: It appears on every slide

Thanks
You didn't say whether the color cast shows in Preview.
If it does then try using a different slide input type to see if this corrects the problem.
Dick,

The preview and the scan are identical. Both show the color cast Also changing the input type from positive to Kodachrome has no effect. They are all the same

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by signgrap on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:34 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
I don't have access to Nikon Scan at the moment so this is from memory which is fair to midlin these days.
There are a number panels that allow you make custom correction. It may be that one of these panels has been left with a correction on. Check all of them to make sure that the curves and levels are in a neutral position. Moving the curve or slider should make an instant change in the preview. Nikon Scan remembers the last position that was made so if wasn't moved back to neutral this could be the cause of the color cast. I think there is a way to set every control back to default (neutral) position.
Dick Ludwig

by Bob Ettinger on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:56 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
signgrap wrote:I don't have access to Nikon Scan at the moment so this is from memory which is fair to midlin  these days.
There are a number panels that allow you make custom correction. It may be that one of these panels has been left with a correction on. Check all of them to make sure that the curves and levels are in a neutral position. Moving the curve or slider should make an instant change in the preview. Nikon Scan remembers the last position that was made so if wasn't moved back to neutral this could be the cause of the color cast. I think there is a way to set every control back to default (neutral) position.

Dick,

Thanks will try that later

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Are you sure the scanner hasn't failed?

by signgrap on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:45 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Are you sure the scanner hasn't failed?
Bob says that when he uses Vuescan software the scans come out fine.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
signgrap wrote:
Bob says that when he uses Vuescan software the scans come out fine.
OK, thanks, I was responding to the red scan :)

by Bob Ettinger on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:08 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]I am sure. Here are two images, one with Nikon Software and the other with VueScan. [/font]

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]I also reset the Nikon Scan to factory default for this test.[/font]

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks for asking and Happy Holidays[/font]

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Bob[/font]

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]

Bob Ettinger

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:51 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
The easiest thing to try first would be to reinstall the scanning software. And check for an upgrade.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Bob Ettinger on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:28 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Jeff Colburn wrote:The easiest thing to try first would be to reinstall the scanning software. And check for an upgrade.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Jeff,

I wish it were that easy.  The software is old and not designed for Win10. So there there are lots of steps just to get it to run.

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:31 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Bob,

You may already be disabling driver signature enforcement with your scanner. If not, check this out https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60767651

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Bob Ettinger on Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:03 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Jeff Colburn wrote:Hi Bob,

You may already be disabling driver signature enforcement with your scanner. If not, check this out https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60767651

Have Fun,
Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for that information. It is correct and I had to do this in order to install the software.

I had put off deleting the software and reinstalling as it is a PITA but when I get time this week that is the plan

Again thanks

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by Brian E. Small on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:31 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
Bob Ettinger wrote:I finally got the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 working under Win 10 Pro thanks to help from Dick Ludwig. Now the problem is the colors of the scans are way off. I installed VueScan and the colors are better but still not I used to get from the Nikon.

Does anyone have any ideas how to improve the Nikon scans or do I to ignore the Nikon software and just Vuescan?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions

Bob

Bob,

Can you list the steps to get your scanner to work on Win 10?  Thanks.............

18 posts |