Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:21 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
My laptop keyboard may need some sort of adjustment. My problem is that when i type a single letter sometimes I get the letter repeated and this requires me to backspace and delete the extra letter. Typing more carefully helps but does not resolve the situation. Does anybody know of an adjustment I can make or other solution?

Details are: Sony Vaio S series laptop; model SVS151C1GL; win 10 pro 1089; about 6 years old. 

Thanks,

Joe 
Joe Smith

by signgrap on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
It would appear to me that either the spring for the key has become weak or partially displaced. Or more likely some substance has worked its way under the key and making it stick. Have you googled the problem? There are so variations to the way keyboards are constructed that I believe you have to find an answer for your particular laptop.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The keyboard key returns (either a spring, or a membrane under the key) is worn out.  This is not uncommon especially if this is a computer you use a lot.  Laptops, with their small key travel are especially prone to this but even desktop keyboards need to be replaced every few years.

One thing you can try is to go into your system setup options and under keyboard increase the time before the computer interprets a keypress as a long keypress intended to repeat letters.  

by photoman4343 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
EJ and Dick, thanks for the suggestions. i will work on this tomorrow.

Joe
Joe Smith

4 posts |