All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I'm beginning to run out of HD space for the images and video I have and am looking at adding a third HD for image and video storage.  Currently I have two WB Black 6TB HD's that I've had for nearly three years and one is almost full while the other is about 60%.  So, I'm looking at something about 6TB which should hold me over for a few more years for my editing desktop PC.  I have numerous externals for redundancy but what I'm looking for is an additional internal in the 6TB range.

So, what makes and models offer the best price/performance/reliability in the 6TB class at this point in time?

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
6TB are pretty mature so you aren't going to find too much difference between the only two players in town, Seagate and WD. Then it just comes down to which class of drives. I wouldn't get either's cheapest drives nor do you need their most expensive enterprise class drives. In between you find 2 or 3 levels of drives that you can choose based on what you are comfortable paying. An alternative would be to replace your 6TB drive with a much higher capacity one rather than adding another lower capacity drive. This would make library management a lot easier. Again, in the 10 or 12TB class, pretty much either one is fine, just don't get their cheap drives. Make sure they are 7200RPM.

by Brian Stirling on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Thanks EJ, going larger would be nice but my needs aren't that great just now and 6TB or there about's should be sufficient for the next 2-3 years.  The two 6TB WB Black HD's I have seem to average about 190MB/sec which, although not SSD fast, is still pretty decent.  Interestingly, the current price for the 6TB WB Black is not much less than I paid almost 3 years ago.

As to having one versus three ... I have three different groups of image and video I shoot so three actually makes sense.  And once again, I have many smaller 2TB-4TB externals for backup.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:34 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Well, I ordered a Seagate BarraCuda Pro SATA HDD 6TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s 256MB which should handle my storage needs in my desktop for another 3 years or so.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:26 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Well I received the HD yesterday, broke out the box my motherboard came in and grabbed a 6Gbps SATA cable and hoped to have the new drive installed and ready...

But, the SATA cable I have (3) are all of the straight/90 type and I need a straight/straight type. At the motherboard end the board is only lifted enough to use a straight as a 90 hits the case. The HD rack needs a straight as the metal frame interferes with the 90. This kind of thing is aggravating as it shows the designers/engineers that designed the PC case didn't think through the use of SATA cables or they could have made a simple change to eliminate the interference at the HD rack -- I can understand not standing the motherboard off more, but there's no excuse for having the case frame interfere with the use of a 90 degree SATA cable. I mean, its not like they could have been unaware of this issue given the fact they've designed hundreds of cases over the years and must surely have seen this problem before.

So, off to Best Buy ... the only SATA cable they had was a 3Gbps straight/90. Wal*Mart had, well they had what you'd expect them to have ... nothing you need.

So, back online and Bezos now has another $6USD from me but the cable won't be here until Friday.

I know, I'm ranting/venting...

Brian

by Rocky Sharwell on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:11 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Frustration.......
Rocky Sharwell

by Brian Stirling on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:54 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Back in the day Radio Shack 'might' have had the cable but they are now history and there's no Fry's in my area so you pretty much have to order online. To be sure, items that are not in high demand are seldom seen in brick-and-mortar stores these days given the relative high cost to stock versus the relatively low sale price so a warehouse with much lower shelving costs is the way it is these days. I am a little puzzled how an Amazon 'Prime' item ordered on Sunday would take until Friday to arrive, but I'll cut them some slack over Christmas.

Brian

by Primus on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:38 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I replaced some of my HDs last yr, have the 'trash can' so everything is in external bays - OWC make, which are really very fast.

I needed something in the 6TB range but went for the 10TB one, simply because the drives become much slower when over 60% full and definitely so when 80% full. The 10TB gives me a bigger cushion. Bought the Seagate Barrcuda version. 18 months and still going strong.

And yes, the price does not drop as much these days.

Pradeep

by Brian Stirling on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:51 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
At present my two 6TB drive have 3.33TB and 683GB free so my total utilization is about 63% but my second drive is more like 88%. With a third 6TB drive I'll reallocate some of the folder on the second drive so I should, at least initially, be more like 39%, 50% and 39% with the second drive being files from mostly retired cameras.

I could technically stay with the two 6TB drives for another year or two but, as your said, the drive performance degrades as the drive fills. The biggest hitter for me these days is 4K video at nearly 45GB/hour.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Just got the SATA cables and completed the HD install -- the new cables are not the highest quality and I had to use a bit of force to plug both ends in. Anyway, it shows up in BIOS and I've allocated it with disk manager and am now copying over the files from the second drive -- seems to be running around 180-190MB/sec.

Brian

10 posts |